Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

I am on Xanax and have been since 1993. I've also been in…

Customer Question
I am on Xanax...

I am on Xanax and have been since 1993. I've also been in counseling too. Although, currently I'm not as I was and am doing better. My psychologist felt I didn't need regular counseling but I can and do check in with him occasionally if I'm having an increase in depression or anxiety. I'm currently on Oxycontin 20mg. This is down from 60mg a year ago. This is the doseage I will be on for probably the rest of my life due to 2 unsuccessful back surgerys and a fairly successful neck surgery. Unfortunately, these left me with permanent nerve damage and pain. 1 yr ago I was sent to a pain clinic as a new company took over the oversight of my regular MD's office and decreed all patients who were on regular narcotic pain relievers had to go to these "specialists". Every time I go to this clinic I get told some thing else will be taken away or changed, even if I was told something different at a previous clinic. So, I had told these people that I was on Xanax from the beginning. They said although they didn't write for this med, my family MD could keep writing for it. Because I am due for my yearly physical in a few months I thought I'd wait until then to ask my MD at that time to start lowering the dose of my xanax to see if I could get along with less. But also understanding that there are times when I get very panicked and need to take a xanax. I had hoped I could get by with a script for 30 or 60 a month. However, on my visit to the pain clinic a few weeks ago, I was told I had a choice of giving up my pain meds and taking the xanax or take the pain meds and give up the xanax . I was told to be off the xanax by the end of March! I have tried to go along with this group. I ask questions, try not to be argumentative, but when I asked why after all this time on these meds did I have to stop what worked? All they said literally was "It's dangerous". I'm not stupid. I'm a retired RN. I understand about drug interactions and being over medicated. I haven't ever OD'd or had any trouble with my meds and I don't condone the use of street drugs. I also have asked my friends if they think I've ever acted drugged or been inappropriate. Most didn't know I was taking anything much period. Is it really reasonable to ask me to completely give up my xanax? I have tried other things in the past. I've been on gabapentin, tricyclic antidepressants, etc. They didn't work or worse yet, caused side effects that made me feel worse.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been feeling this way? Have you reached out to anyone about this yet?

I can't even get in to see my family MD until 1/22. I know she will understand but I don't think she is in a position to help. There aren't many pain clinics around and frankly I've had to go through a couple of changes in getting the meds (MD who originally prescribed the Oxycontin moved to Colorado. My family MD took over and within a year Dignity Health told her that she and all the MD's there had to send pts to pain clinics) I get panicky just thinking about having to make another change. Oh, one more small detail, I have yet to be seen by an MD. I only see NP's or PA's!

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the psychologist should know?

I was in an ambulance accident that caused the start of the back and neck problems in 1985 and my Rt ulnar nerve was crushed and had to be transposed. TKR on the left in 2002(very successful), Fibromyalgia, chronic EBV, currently in remission. Hep A in 1974 and Hep nonA-non B (c?)1982, tests are negative. For RX for pain and nerve damage have tried chiropractic adjustments, heat and cold therapy, many rounds of PT, I go to a gym 2x wkly for 45 min to try to improve muscle strength using similar techniques used in PT. Ithink that's all for now

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Health
12/31/2017
Health Professional: Dr Ted Manos, Doctor (MD) replied 1 month ago
Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Doctor (MD)
Hi, and thank you for choosing Justanswer about your concern. I’m Dr Ted Manos M.D., and I can respond shortly.
There are plenty of concerns about prescription narcotics and the perceived dangers. Drugs like Xanax are also a concern. What I share about the subject will not change your accessibility to the meds you need. You’re not on a lot of OxyContin but I don’t know your Xanax dose. That doesn’t matter when your providers have their stories as to what they prescribe. I imagine you can taper your Xanax dose down to a point to stop. OxyContin can help your pain more than just Xanax. You might explore medical marijuana as an adjunct.
Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Doctor (MD)