Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

Can and 8 year old with an inner ear infection travel on the…

Customer Question
Hello can and 8...

Hello can and 8 year old with an inner ear infection travel on the eurostar safely?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the ear issue? Have you had any colds or flus recently?

Inner ear infection diagnosed 4 days ago and doctor confirmed still bad infection today. Antibiotics administered since 4 days ago and continue. Doctor advised no flights for 5 days from today. Doctor said travel on ground would be ok but I didn't question the changes in the pressure on the eurostar. Also yes blocked up with mucus.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

The patient carries the sickle cell trait and also suffers common faints when experiencing pain.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Health
12/24/2017
Health Professional: Richard Han, Doctor (MD) replied 4 months ago
Richard Han
Richard Han, Doctor (MD)

Hello and thank you for your question. My name is***** am a American board-certified pediatrician with over 15 years of clinical experience and I am happy to help you. By "inner ear infection" are you referring to the common ear infections children get, i.e. behind the ear drum? (which, medically is actually referred to as a middle ear infection.)

I do not know the doctor described it as outer and inner infection. I am holidaying in Disneyland Paris but speak little French! A prescription for Amoxicilline 500mg/5ml has been given for the 'inner ear' infection along with decongestants Prednisone 20mg and Pivalone 1% nasal suspension spray. Ofloxacine 1,5mg/0,5ml drops to use only if discharge from ear (there is currently no discharge). Finally Doliprane paracetamol 300mg soluble sachets.

I understand, thank you for that information. In my medical opinion, you are be fine traveling, whether by airline or by Eurostar. The "pressure changes" the doctor referred to are easily accommodated for by the act of swallowing, either by using a cough drop or sucking candy, or drinking fluids. Just as if you were normally flying aboard an airplane or going up in an elevator rapidly.

Can I answer any other questions for you?

No thank you.

You are very welcome. I hope you and your child enjoy the rest of your stay in Disneyland Paris. If I've addressed your question and you are satisfied, please accept the answer by leaving a 5 star positive review. Thank you, ***** ***** and have a Happy New Years.

Richard Han
Richard Han
Richard Han, Doctor (MD)