Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

I had a ct was in a lot of pain said diverticulitis butbthen…

Customer Question
I had a ct...

I had a ct was in a lot of pain said diverticulitis butbthen said this

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

Mild bilateral ureterctasis and prominence of the renal collecting systems likely secondary to pelvic inflammatory change?

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I was diagnosed with diverticulitis and it said inflammatory changes in long segment of sigmoid colon

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Health
12/22/2017
Health Professional: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD) replied 4 months ago
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

What is your age?

What were your symptoms apart from pain; increased urinary frequency, urinary burning, heartburn, diarrhea/constipation, nausea, vomiting, fever, loss of appetite, bloating, gas, tenderness on abdomen?

Gas pain and lower left side pain done flank pain and urinary burning although culture said no infection slight fever still have lots of gas and when going to bathroom stream isn’t as strong flank pain in back but mostly stomach cramps gas pain.

Thanks for the additional information. I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 4-5 minutes. If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

Have had diverticulitis many times never had so much gas pain and was concerned with the ct scan that said about renewal system it also said interval progression of inflammatory changes in long segment of sigmoid colon said yesterday was due to pekvicbinflamatory changes
White countvwas 14.7. I was given cipro and flagyl to take for 7 days but nothing was explained.

Your symptoms are likely due to diverticulitis. This is treated as following;

1) Initially liquid and semi solid diet.

2) Probiotics

3) Antibiotic like Metronidazole (Flagyl which you were prescribed).

The CT findings of kidney is incidental finding and can be secondary to pressure on the ureter and bladder by the sigmoid colon inflammation. This would resolve on its own once the sigmoid colon diverticulitis goes away. Nothing serious or worrying here, I can assure you.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Thank you. Cipro always gets my tendons but said I needed to take it. I have pretty much liquid butvan doing yogurt and probiotic in middle of day. Yogurt is non dairy. Does it matter if I’m up and around? They are suggesting having my sigmoid colon out. I have had at least 4 diverticulitis episodes this year and 4 other times but ct always said no. I was in there sept oct and now December the two prior said not diverticulitis but now it’s bad enough they see it
Hard to know if I should havecsymurgery
have surgery
I was told take meds eatcwhatever I guess that was wrong whatvis semi solid? Yogurt jello mashed potatoes?

Good activity usually does not harm. But pain should guide your activity. If pain is increased, avoid those activities.

You can eat meshed potato. Yogurt is good.

What about surgery?

You may need to remove sigmoid colon if the diverticulum is big and causing recurrent inflammation.

Health Professional: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD) replied 3 months ago

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

You can continue to ask questions after positive feedback.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Merry Christmas.

Happy Holidays.

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)