Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

I have a pain when I breathe on my left side of my waist.

Customer Question
I have a pain...

I have a pain when I breathe on my left side of my waist. Nothing in the back or the stomach. But this pain is really sharp. Like when you dance a lot or exercise. But I have not done any of it. Can you help?

Doctor's Assistant: How long has this been bothering you? Are you experiencing any vomiting or nausea?

Since this morning. I did not woke up like that but it happen after like maybe 2 or 3 hours later. No vomiting or nausea

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have PCOS and Venus deficiencies but that is under control

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Health
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/20/2017
Health Professional: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD) replied 9 months ago
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

What is your age?

Are you a smoker?

Is there any redness, tenderness?

Are your back movements painful?

41
No
No
No

Thanks for the additional information. I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 4-5 minutes. If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

This is likely to be Costochondritis; it is inflammation at the junctions of rib and cartilage. Local analgesic ointment, or spray, chest brace and warm compresses with Ibuprofen is helpful. Another possibility is muscle sprain. Please read about the costochondritis;

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/costochondritis/DS00626

The other possibility is myofascial trigger point. The trigger point causes pain and stress in the muscle or muscle fiber. Myofascial trigger point is a hyperirritable spot, usually within a taut band of skeletal muscle or in the muscle fascia which is painful on compression. The treatment is following;

1) passive stretching of the affected muscle after application of sprayed vapocoolant

2) physical therapy

3) deep electrotherapy; iontophoresis, phonophoresis, short wave diathermy, electrical stimulation

4) local analgesic patch / ointment / spray

5) anti-inflammatory analgesics; Ibuprofen (Motrin / Advil)

6) ischemic compression therapy; pressure on the points

7) massage

8) steroid shots

9) acupuncture.

If the symptoms persist or you develop any new symptoms like shortness of breath; you may need to get a chest x-ray and abdomen for the evaluation.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

You can continue to ask questions after positive feedback.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl