Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

My son fell on his shoulder in a soccer game a few weeks…

My son fell on his...
My son fell on his shoulder in a soccer game a few weeks ago. The athletic trainer said he strained his ac joint in shoulder. He has continued play and it doesn’t hurt but when he lifts weights the joint slides side to side a little. It doesn’t hurt but you can feel it with your hand on it. What does this mean
12/18/2017
Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD, Doctor (MD)
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.comThis is Dr. John and I will be helping you today.I will be reviewing your question and will respond shortly.
I may need to ask a few more questions in order to best serve you.
Thank you for your patience.
Answers here are for education and information only.
The AC joint is the connection between the clavicle (collar bone) and the acromion (front part of scapula). AC joint injuries damage the ligaments that connect the two bones,similar to the way an ankle sprain damages ligaments in the ankle.Most AC joint injuries take 8 weeks to heal. The movement he gets is due to the ligaments not being fully healed yet, if he has pain, he should limit the painful motion for now until pain free.Does that help answer your question?
There isn’t any pain but I told him not to lift weights til after Jan 1. What do you recommend
If it’s only been a couple weeks, would watch overhead lifts since would potential delay healing
Thank you. I was worried maybe it was something else and I was a bad mom lol
No, these are common injuries. Pai is usually limiting factor and he should do well with it.
Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD, Doctor (MD)
You’re welcome and glad to be able to help you today!I would like to thank you for your question and I hope you found my answer informative and helpful.
Please remember to leave a rating by clicking the series of 5 stars at the top of the screen.The experts here at JustAnswer only get credit for the answer once you leave a rating for us.You can also add a bonus if you were extremely happy with our service today.
You can always return and ask follow up questions if needed.- Dr John.