Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

I have recently been diagnosed with EDS. This morning I

noticed a lot of bumps...
I have recently been diagnosed with EDS. This morning I noticed a lot of bumps on the back of my tongue. Is this related
Sent to wrong doctor. I think I need either an ENT or GP
I also have a movement disorder
12/15/2017
Mark Bornfeld
Mark Bornfeld, Dentist (DDS)
Experience: Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA, American Academy of Oral Medicine

The bumps to which you refer are known as "circumvallate papillae". They are normal anatomic features of the posterior tongue, and have no relation to Ehlers-Danlos syndrome. Because the circumvallate papillae are positioned so far back on the tongue, they often escape notice, because the ability to protrude the tongue far enough to visualize them is variable. However, I can assure you that your photos display a normal appearance, and circumvallate papillae are present on all normal tongues.

Hope this helps...

Mark Bornfeld
Mark Bornfeld, Dentist (DDS)