Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

My son has had cobblestones on his throat for a year. It…

Customer Question
My son has had cobblestones...
My son has had cobblestones on his throat for a year. It doesn’t bother him but is this bad for his health? Is there something I should be doing
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Health
12/13/2017
Health Professional: Richard Han, Doctor (MD) replied 7 months ago
Richard Han
Richard Han, Doctor (MD)
Hello my name is***** am a board-certified physician with 15 years of clinical experience and I am happy to help you. Please give me a moment to review your question.
Can you tell me please, how old is your son? Has he had sore throat, cold symptoms, seasonal allergies or GERD (reflux) at all? Thank you in advance for your replies.
He is 9. He is on daily allergy meds due to Oklahoma’s allergens. Had tonsils removed last Dec. no reflux but burps a lot lol
Than you for that information. Cobblestoning is a common throat finding when there is mild inflammation. In your son’s case it makes sense because he has seasonal allergies and likely some post nasal drip. Since he’s already on some allergy mediation and his throat is not bothering him at all there’s no need for concern and nothing special that you need to do.
Do you have any other questions I can help you with today?
it doesn’t relate to where he may have some auto immune disorder then? I didn’t know if something else was going on I should worry about. He is a healthly kid
I understand. No, in an otherwise healthy 9-year-old boy with seasonal allergies, I would not be concerned at all about any autoimmune diseases with cobblestoning of his throat. Any other questions I can help with?
cobblestones in general are not related to Auto Immunes
Cobblestoning of the throat comes about as a result of inflammation. People with autoimmune disorders generally have chronic levels of inflammation in their body, and so can also show cobblestoning of the throat. Strep throat and sinusitis patients can also show cobblestones due to inflammation arising from their infection. People with chronic GERD who can feel the reflux all the way up to their throat can also have cobblestoning due to the irritation and inflammation acid reflux can cause. Seasonal allergies involve an inflammatory reaction to environmental pollens and often so display cobblestoning. So you can see all of the above are related in one way or another to cobblestoning, but the presence of cobblestoning does not mean a person has all of the above.The practice of medicine basically involves gathering information about each person a doctor sees, such as age, gender, symptoms, exposures etc. This data guides our thinking and decision making.So to answer your question, cobblestoning of the throat can be related to autoimmune disorders. But in your son’s case of being a healthy 9 year old boy with no symptoms of illness other than mild seasonal allergies in Oklahoma, no, his cobblestoning is NOT related to an underlying autoimmune disorder.
I hope this explanation is clearer. Can I answer anything else for you?
He had blood work done last year around the time of his strep throat Times and his blood week was all normal but his absolute leukocytes were low. Is that a bad sign with having cobblestones? Are these toe things a sign of a disorder? We never got his count again because it was torture the first time.
Went offline
Are you back online