Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor (MD/DO)
Experience:  MBBS, MD, ECFMG certified. 11 year experience in dealing with cases related to all fields of medicine
22950887

My daughter 11 years old peed a red worm 2 days ago and i

Customer Question

My daughter 11 years old peed a red worm 2 days ago and i did not think that coul be possible but because she’s been feeling sickly and the pediatrician can’t pin point any sickness I checked in the internet about the possibility of someone to p e a worm and am shocked.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 11 months ago.

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your daughter. Actually, there are a few conditions which can cause this sort of problem. The first one which comes to mind is that she could have developed urinary schistosomiasis. This is a condition in which a parasite known as Schistosoma can be present in the blood vessels surrounding the bladder and it can cause eggs to be secreted into the urine. It sometimes may lead to the development of worms being passed in the urine. The diagnosis is made with an abdominal ultrasound and also with a cystoscopy if necessary and then it can be treated with anti parasitic drugs which can be effective in killing off the parasites.

The other possibility is that of urinary myiasis, this is a condition in which the fly larvae are present inside the bladder. This is a relatively rare condition which occurs more in children belonging to the African continent. This can lead to infections of the eye and other organs as well as the bladder. Again a simple cystoscopy (camera inserted into the bladder) can be diagnostic and it would be treated with a drug called ivermectin which would lead to the elimination of the larvae within a week in most cases.

I think you need to see an infectious disease specialist who would be easily able to diagnose this problem.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do I am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.