Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

I am really desperate to know what in the world is going on.

Customer Question
Hi I am really desperate...
Hi I am really desperate to know what in the world is going on.
I had an emotional outburst a few days ago where I felt like my body was on fire, shortly after my sinuses actually smelt like they were burnt.
I had a lot of mucous before but my sinus and breathing passage became all clear and empty immediately after that incident. Then half a day later I started to feel almost like I was inhaling water from a swimming pool, my breathing passages had a smell and taste of chlorine and my throat and chest felt very irritated and watery, I had that feeling you get when you accidentally breathe in water from a swimming pool.
A day after that I started to feel like every time I breathed in, my nose, airways and chest had cold air circulating through them. My nose and breathing passage was so sensitive, it felt like when I breathed in air from my nose, the cold air would immediately penetrate through my breathing passage/throat into my chest/lungs. The reason why I'm using / is because I'm unsure if the cold sensation is only in my lungs, it seems to cover the majority of my chest, especially bad at a point in the lower centre of my chest between my breasts, where there is also a cold, raw discomfort. It also felt like my lungs felt like vomiting.
A day and a half after that, which is today, I started to feel like I was breathing icy cold air through my nose. It feels like immediately after inhaling, numbingly freezing cold air from my nose pierces to my lower chest and there is also a watery/raw feeling at a point in the lower middle of my chest between my breasts. It also feels like there is food stuck at that point, for your information I also have heart burn and acid reflux up my throat. It feels like food gets stuck in my throat/upper chest at a certain point, it doesn't go down properly. It also feels like the inside of my chest is raw, open and exposed to 5 degree weather outside. I feel very nauseous. These symptoms have escalated so that a day later the feeling became more pronounced and now my teeth also feel cold, numb and sensitive and my eyes feel a cold sting, even my head is starting to feel a bit of numbness from the cold sensation. I also feel a minor headache.
I can't bring myself to sleep. I want to know whether this is life-threatening.it is extremely uncomfortable.
A few possibilities I found online are a wound due to reflux in my esophagus which is actually a burning sensation misinterpreted as a cold sensation. Or perhaps there is a wound in my airways/lungs??
I am so scared. Please help me.
I consciously cough up phlegm a lot due to nasal drip and blow my nose a lot also. Not sure if this has damaged anything.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Health
12/7/2017
Health Professional: Vakul Aren, Doctor replied 4 months ago
Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor

Hello,I am Dr. Aren and I will help with your query.You apparently have 1. Sinusitis with a Post Nasal Drip(PND).2.GastroEsophageal Reflux Disease(GERD) with oesophagitis 3.There may be evidence of Laryngo-Pharyngeal Reflux Disease(LPRD),this needs to be confirmed by your ENT specialist by a direct laryngoscopy.Severe Gastritis may be mistaken for burning of the chest.

You need to discuss all this with your PCP/Doctor who can examine you and advise the relevant referrals to the Oto-Rhino-Laryngologist/ENT specialist and a Gastroenterologist for an upper GI tract Endoscopy.A chest X-Ray to look for any aspiration pneumonitis may be prudent.The treatment will depend on the diseases found.The sinusitis with PND definitely needs urgent attention.

Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor