Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

I have had chest pains associated with light headed spells…

Customer Question
I have had chest...

I have had chest pains associated with light headed spells for a year now. It almost always comes right before I have to have a bowl movement. I have had every heart test there is with the exception of a cath. And nothing. I’m 35 so I’m pretty sure my heart is fine. It’s just scary bc it’s always my upper left chest area. I’ve been to GI dr and nothing. Any suggestions or thoughts?

Doctor's Assistant: Is the headache episodic or daily? And what about nausea?

Headache? I have them sometimes but no nausea

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I’m overweight but that’s it no smoking and very light if ever drinking. No family history. I was diagnosed with diverticulitis recently but that’s not the issue

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Health
12/7/2017
Health Professional: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor (MD/DO) replied 4 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor (MD/DO)

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually from what you are describing it sounds like that you may be suffering from a condition which is referred to as dysautonomia. This is a condition in which the autonomic nervous system may be damaged and you may experience dizziness, drop in blood pressure, rise or fall in heart rate, sweating and even chest pains. This could be diagnosed with the help of a clinical examination and also with the help of a simple tilt table test which would be beneficial here. Once diagnosed it can be treated with various medications and interventions. The only heart test I would advise getting done would be a Holter monitor if it was not done previously, this would look at the heart for a full 24-48 hours and even longer. Sometimes arrhythmias which are irregular heart rhythms may be responsible here as well.

But I think autonomic neuropathy or dysautonomia should be considered as the primary cause and investigations should be done to rule them out.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do I am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

How do you go about testing for this? Also my heart rate is always good I actually have a very low resting hr but they say that’s a sign of a healthy heart. But yes I do get lightheaded if I stand quickly and sometimes feel like I’m having a hard time breathing but if I just take deep breaths I breathe fine. I’ve had a million gi test as well.

The tilt table test which I mentioned in my earlier response is the test of choice along with other tests which may be required on the basis of a complete clinical examination.

An internal medicine doctor should be able to arrive at this diagnosis.

Do you have any more questions?

Would that make me have chest pain almost every time I get up and start moving? Especially in the mornings?

That could be because of the inadequate return of blood to the chest because of the autonomic issue, this can also lead to dizziness, lightheadedness, chest pain. sweating and even shortness of breath. In the morning, when you have been lying down for a period of time, the blood has pooled in your legs and extremeties, when you get up the autonomic nervous system should cause the vessels to constrict and send blood back to the heart and to the brain, if it is damaged that does not happen and thus the symptoms occur.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor (MD/DO)