Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

I took a ua today and I tested positive for cocaine I do not…

Customer Question
I took a ua...

I took a ua today and I tested positive for cocaine I do not do drugs nor do I be around them what could have gave me a positive result im highly confused about these test results

Doctor's Assistant: Is this a time sensitive issue? What type of specimen are they testing?

Urine

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Yes time sensitive

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Health
12/6/2017
Health Professional: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor (MD/DO) replied 7 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor (MD/DO)

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your test results. Can you tell me if you have used ANY OTC medications, herbal medications, prescription medications in the last 1-2 weeks? Any herbal teas etc?

Prednisone Excedrin Advil midol amoxicillin cephalexin
I can't afford to call sorry

Thanks for the additional information, let me just write down an answer for you and ill get back to you in a few mins. If you get a phone call request, that is an automated site response. I DID NOT send it. Thanks!

Ok thanks can any drugs cause a false positive for Thx? I was positive for that but i was around marijuana smoke for less than 5 mins i don't smoke either

Actually, there are a number of things which can cause a false positive for cocaine, including various antibiotics, OTC medications, prescription medications along with things like food products which contain the cocoa leaf, coca tea among others.

In your case, it is VERY LIKELY that the positive test for cocaine was due to AMOXICILLIN. It is a known fact that amoxicillin can cause false positives for cocaine in normal urine analysis tests. This occurs commonly in many patients who have been using the antibiotic for other purposes. The best way to clear yourself of this issue would be to ask them to run a GC/MS test on the SAME urine sample which can easily determine that the cocaine positive result that you had was a false positive test.

A GC/MS is MUCH more accurate in determining which drug was used and it will accurately determine that you in fact used amoxicillin and NOT cocaine.

For THC, ibuprofen has been known to cause false positives as well as other NSAIDs

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

But I havnt took any amoxicillin in like 4 days

Amoxicillin can stay in your system for upto 7 days especially if you were using it for more than 2-3 days.

Do you have any more questions?

They sent my ua to the lab for that test u are talking about today i won't kno the results till Thursday when I see my probation officer i have nvr had a dirty ua so I'm really confused y i tested positive for both

Do you have any more questions?

And if you did not use either cocaine or THC, then the GC/MS test will come back as negative, it is a common issue to find amoxicllin causing false positives for cocaine, the THC can be false positive because of the excedrin that you used.

Do you have any more questions?

I also take alot of allergy pills im allergic to dogs

Which allergy pills?

I forgot about that i bn taking the dollar general brand similar to benadryl

Benadryl or diphenhydramine (the drug in benadryl and oither brand names) causes a false positive for benzodiazepines and PCP but not THC or cocaine.

In your case i think excedrin and amoxicillin are the culprits which should be easily determined on the GC/MS test.

Do you have any more questions?

How long does amoxicillin stay in ur system?
I'm sorry for all the questions this is all very confusing for me

As I said earlier, amoxicillin can stay for up to seven days in your system after the last dose IN SOME CASES, but usually, it does leave the body after 3-4 days. Your last dose was 4 days ago, so it is conceivable that it is still in your system.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do I am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

Ok thanks for your time

You're welcome, do remember to leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above your screen as that is how we are compensated for helping you today. Any BONUSES would be well appreciated!

Ok thx

You are welcome, best of luck!