Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

I had a question about a rash on different areas of my body.

Customer Question
Hi, I had a...

Hi, I had a question about a rash on different areas of my body.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you experienced any recent physical or emotional illnesses? What medicines (prescription, homeopathic or over-the-counter) have you taken recently?

Recently a rash developed on the creases of my arms. At first it was just there, then I had to take a Medrol pal after injuring my knee. The Medrol pak helped at first. Now I’m off that and the rash has come back with a vengenence.

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?

I take kids Benadryl and that seems to make it less itchy. No swelling, but you can tell I’ve irritatef it more to the point of pain with my scratching

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I’ve also put on cortisone cream as well Hmmm, not really

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Health
12/5/2017
Health Professional: Dr. Gupta, Doctor (MD) replied 7 months ago
Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Doctor (MD)

Hi

Welcome to just answer

What you are describing seems like Intertrigo rash. This rash develops typically in skin creases where moisture gets trapped and skin and rub with each other causing abrasion and worsening the rash. The cause of this recurrent rash is usually a fungal infection. A combination of a mild steroid cream (which you are using) and anti-fungal cream is usually helpful in treating the rash. Cortrimazole antifungal skin cream is available over the counter. Since you have already used the steroid cream, I would recommend you to use the antifungal cream to take care of the infection

Try keeping the affected area dry.

If there is still no improvement, then you need to consult a skin specialist for need of oral medicines.

Hope this information is helpful and you recover fast

Regards

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further. And please take a moment and kindly click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your health question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. If you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too!

Cheers

Update, I went to see a dermatologist who said it was an allergic reaction secondary to poison ivy. She prescribed oral predinsone and a stronger steroid cream.

A first hand evaluation is always good. Hope you improve fast.

Regards