Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

If have atrophy of the left psoas muscle. is that serious.

Customer Question
If have atrophy of...

If have atrophy of the left psoas muscle. is that serious

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

Leg weakness. muscle damage in left thigh due to L4 also arthritis and DDD

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?

No.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Left hip replacment and 3 disc replacment C 3 , 4 and 5

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Health
12/3/2017
Health Professional: Dr. Mo, Doctor (MD) replied 7 months ago
Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Doctor (MD)
Is the atrophy getting worse or staying about the same over the past few months/years?
about the same. had hip rep 2 half yr ago.
but limp is worse i think.
I started limp about 6 yr in all..gradually worsening. thanks
If the limp is getting worse it could be due to the psoas atrophy. That muscle could atrophy either from the hip replacement surgery or it could be due to pinched nerves in the back.
It’s not anything dangerous but if it’s getting weaker then it would be worthwhile to either have an exam done to know exactly what the cause is or have some guided physical therapy to strengthen the area.
do you think its reversible. i was told the muscle damage is. ( had EMG.and nerve conduction study
i was referred tests from neurologist.
as my leg gave way a few times and i fell.
had normal mri head scan
It’s always reversible to an extend. Never 100% but even with atrophy demonstrated on abnormal EMG and NCS’s there is always a chance to strengthen it and even help other muscles around it to compensate its weakness.
physio is a good idea
thanks

It would be very helpful doing physio. It will counteract the nerve loss to the muscle and build the strength of the remaining muscle tissue.

Glad I could help.

I hope I provided you with a 5-star service.

Please click on the rating button when you're ready.

Feel free to ask any follow-up questions you might have.

-Dr. Mo

Please click the rating button when you're ready.

-Dr. Mo

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Please click the rating button when you get a chance.

-Dr. Mo