Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

My son is 9 years old and was diagnosed with ALL last

Customer Question
Hi, my son is...

Hi, my son is 9 years old and was diagnosed with ALL last December, for a few weeks his blood counts have been really low so his chemo was stopped however on Monday he didn't look, feel or sound good and was taken into hospital, they took blood for cultures but still have no results from that and today he was taken for an X-ray and a CT scan where the radiographer(I think you call them) said that he thinks there is fluid around his spleen! What does this mean and is it serious? All week his temp has been spiking, after been given paracetamol his temp came down but flew straight back up again when it wore off! I'm REALLY worried.

Doctor's Assistant: In general, how has your health been lately?

My health isn't the greatest but this is about my son

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have the cold which probably hasn't helped how he is feeling, I have not been at the hospital with my son because of this so I am just getting told things from my mum

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Health
12/1/2017
Health Professional: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor (MD/DO) replied 8 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor (MD/DO)

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your symptoms. Now from what you are describing it sounds like he may have developed an infection in the region of the spleen which is why he has fluid around the spleen. Sometimes this could be infected fluid in the region or even a collection of pus in the region. This would be diagnosed with the help of aspirating the fluid via a needle under CT scan guidance and then culturing the fluid. It could also indicate abscess formation inside the spleen which should have been picked up on the CT scan.

I think the presence of fluid around the spleen is an indication of an infection in the region and if the fluid is significant in amount then it may be aspirated and cultured. the other option is to start him on broad-spectrum antibiotics which will help in reducing the fluid in amount as well.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do I am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.