Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

For over a year I have had sharp random shoots of pain on…

For over a year...

For over a year I have had sharp random shoots of pain on upper side of my elbow..passing in 5-10 seconds. Recently it seems to last in milder form through the day. I work at a desk with mouse through weekdays but pain occurs when working and many other times and again more constant through He day.

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?

Tried immobilizing the arm, capsaicin and other creams, massage, heat, ice...nothing changes it for better or worse.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Ibuprofin and aspirin.

11/25/2017
Dr. Josh
Dr. Josh, Doctor

Dear customer

This is Dr. Josh. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Dear customer

Thank you for being online.

The symptoms you have described of having pain on the upper side of elbow passing in 5-10 seconds can be due to cubital tunnel syndrome. Pressure on the ulnar nerve at the elbow can develop in several ways.

The most common place where the nerve gets compressed is behind the elbow. Adjust your chair and desk so that when writing, working at a typewriter or a computer keyboard, the elbow is flexed no more than 30 degrees and the wrist is in a neutral position.Keep the elbow straight at night when you are sleeping. This can be done by wrapping a towel around the straight elbow, wearing an elbow pad backward, or using a special brace.

You need nerve conduction testing & electrophysiological studies are required to make the exact diagnosis.

So my best advise for you is to please make an appointment with your doctor to have the tests & examination done so as to know the exact underlying cause & then treatment will be done accordingly.

Thank you.

Hope this helped

If you have any further question then you can ask me.

Please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today, we only get after positive feedback.

A bonus is highly appreciated.

We are here to help you until you satisfy.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Thank you. Also, I am not on any medications. I am 59 years old. Slightly elevated Blood pressure. 130/81. Family history of heart issues. 2 aunts with bone cancer and great nephew with Ewing’s sarcoma passed away.

Dear customer

Thank you for replying back.

Your symptoms do not seem to be related to your slightly elevated Blood pressure.

There is nothing serious or dangerous about these symptoms.

Nerve root compression (pinched nerve) seems to be the most probable cause of this.

You need following tests:

-Electromyography(EMG)
-Nerve conduction studies,
-Certain blood tests,
-Electrophysiological studies
-Nerve conduction velocity (NCV)

So you need to consult your neurologist regarding this & hence the treatment accordingly.

Thank you.

And please don't forget to leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today,

we only get after positive feedback.A bonus is highly appreciated.

We are here to help you until you satisfy

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Thank you but looking up info re:cubical tunnel indicate numbness in fingers which I don’t have and pinched nerves in”funny” bone but that would not be the correct area. Pain is on top outside of elbow...not muscle, not joint and not in tendon,,,hard to describe.

Dear customer

Thank you for replying back.

This can be initial symptoms of nerve root compression & numbness in fingers occur in later stages only.

Another possibility can be of elbow bursitis. Less likely shingles can be a possibility.

Other causes of such symptoms are: underactive thyroid , abnormal levels of calcium, potassium, or sodium in your body,lack of vitamin B12 ,certain medications.

For exact diagnosis- clinical examinations & tests are required so as to know the underlying cause & hence the treatment accordingly.

I hope this helped.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr. Josh

No swelling...not raised temp in affected area. �� thank you.
Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor

Hello,I am Dr. Aren and I will help with your query, Do you spend a long time on the computer using the mouse?

Mouse elbow is a common ocurrence in people using the mouse for long hours.This presents as lateral Epicondylitis or pain in the forearm and outer part elbow due to repititve stress while point-and -click using the mouse.This can lead to chronic pain and a weakened grip.Icing will help the pain,resting the hand for a few days will help.Stretching and strengthening of the muscles involved and physiotherapy will give lasting relief.

Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Thank you. I do work at the computer 40 hrs weekly however the pain happened at random hours in and outside of work time. Icing did not help. No weakness in grip.
Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor