Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

I have been experiencing some sort of decline in cognitive…

Customer Question
I have been experiencing some...
I have been experiencing some sort of decline in cognitive function recently along with a pressure like feeling in my head. It's very strange because i will start feeling a bit better for a bit then it will get worse, especially if I'm stressed out or something, which has been extremely easy to happen. It's causing serious disruptions to every aspect of my life, especially my relationships with other people (including my girlfriend) because i feel i can barely talk to them, and I don't know what to do........ everyone keeps telling me it's in my head, or I'm a hypochondriac, and it makes me want to freak out (And I even have kind of done this) because they just don't understand...... I have started crying uncontrollably a few times in the past week because I just can't take it anymore. I have even gone to the hospital emergency room because of this and even they wouldn't even take me seriously, ultimately telling me theres absolutely nothing wrong. I'm so scared I'm going to die or become permanently impaired. I should also add that I experienced almost the same thing pretty much exactly 1 year ago except with some added symptoms I haven't yet experienced this time around- I had what I believe was a seizure when I woke up from sleeping after hearing an extremely loud bang (which no one else heard, even though they were awake), and also around then I had some sort of rash appear all over, especially the upper torso area (looked similar or the same as meningitis rash to me, but the rude doctor at the hospital said it looked like hives when I showed him a picture during my recent visit - I have allergies and am familiar with hives..... this was something different) and then i just finally started getting better (although I don't think completely better, but I was thankful to be able to basically function normally for about a year). I think that the root of all this could possibly be my teeth which are extremely bad especially on the top side, either that or maybe this is another result of the actual problem, either way I feel that it's related because right now while this is happening I have a swollen right cheek all the way up to my eye from a tooth infection and I think I maybe have had the same and or other tooth infections for quite some time because I can often taste a terrible taste in my mouth and almost all of my teeth are now gone on the top, either from being pulled by dentist or just breaking on their own. I just had 2 more pulled the other day and the dentist has given me antibiotics now too as well as scheduled me in for more extractions in a few days from now. I am worried that the infections have entered my brain and I don't even know how to get help as everyone keeps dismissing it without even looking, making me lose hope more and more each time. It doesn't help that I am unable to explain anything in detail to them because when put on the spot im pretty much useless, and they dont have time for that nor seem to care. It's taken me over an hour to write all this, with me going back and adding things many times, and I'm sure I'll have more to add even after sending it. Please can someone help me I'm so scared right now...... Thanks in advance and if you help me with this I will be forever grateful.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Health
I have also been having some very strange feelings in my back/ shoulders. And another thing I should add is I went through an extremely violent and traumatic experience just over 3 years ago and had quite a bit of blunt force from several hard objects to my head very many times and drawn out over an entire day.
11/25/2017
Health Professional: Karel1, Certified Respiratory Therapist replied 7 months ago
Karel1
Karel1, Certified Respiratory Therapist

I strongly suggest you see a neurologist for a nuerological consult which would consist of an mri, cat scan, or eeg. I would also mention to him the seizure you think you suffered from and how your cognitive abilities have declined. That is the first place to start. Emergency room are just for that, when the illness happens, not after . You need a specialist for these symptoms you are experiencing.Once the nuerologist gives his conclusion, he then would either be able to treat you or refer you to one who can . Perhaps a psychologist or psychiatrist. No it does not mean your crazy. Psychiatrist are there to prescribe any drugs you need to stabilize your feelings. But first and foremost you need to rule out seizures, and anything else that neurologically can affect your cognitive functioning and those tests would be the place to start.