Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

I was clearing my throat and coughed up a strange

I was clearing my...

I was clearing my throat and coughed up a strange milky/translucent string. It's slightly hard and when I roll it, it doesn't lose it's shape. Is it some sort of mucus? I had gotten over a cold about 2 weeks now.

Doctor's Assistant: Do you have a fever? Do you have any other existing medical conditions?

No

Answered in 1 minute by:
11/24/2017
Onlinedoc
Onlinedoc, General Physician

Hello and thanks for your question.
It's my first priority to help you.
I'm reviewing your question now & will post back with the reply soon.

Please provide some additional information.

What is the color of mucus?

Sore throat?

Stuffy nose?

Are you taking any medicines?

Any other medical illness?
Thanks.
Waiting for your reply.
I will post back with the reply/answer momentarily. Thank you for your patience.

The color is a translucent milky white. No stuffy nose or sore throat. I'm not taking any medication, and no other illnesses.

Thanks for the follow-up.
I understand your concern.
As per your description, it's post nasal drip which is causing your symptoms.

I would advise you self care remedies which you can try.
Saline gargles,oral antiseptic rinse.
Also take Advil and Allegra for 3 days.
You should maintain a good hydration with warm water,honey tea.
You should do menthol steam inhalation.
Also use a warm mist humidifier in your room.
Take OTC Pepcid also.
If your symptoms'll not show any improvement then see your doctor for a clinical exam again.
Vitamin C supplement can be tried.

"I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today!
Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question).
We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!”.

post nasal drip can cause hard mucus that looks similar to a small worm?

Thank you for replying back.

Yes it can cause such type of mucus.

I would advise you to try such self care remedies for few days.

Also try nasal saline drops.

I hope this answers your question. If you would like to discuss this further or have any additional questions, please reply to my answer and I will get right back to you.
Please avoid poor/bad rating.
Please leave positive rating by clicking 5 stars above the chat box if you are satisfied with our conversation.
Waiting for your reply.

Onlinedoc
Onlinedoc, General Physician
Thank you so much for the help.

Good wishes for your health.

Thanks.
Take care.