Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

I have had a dark vaginal discharge for about a week now and…

Customer Question
I have had a...

I have had a dark brown vaginal discharge for about a week now and I don’t know what I should do

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

Nothing at all. Just the discharge

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No nothing

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Health
11/22/2017
Health Professional: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor (MD/DO) replied 10 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor (MD/DO)

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. A dark brown discharge can be due to many conditions. The first one which comes to mind is that you could have developed an infection of the genitourinary tract. The presence of dark brown discharge can be due to a bacterial infection which many a time does not present with the classic symptoms of abdominal pain etc. this wpould be diagnosed on a clinical examination and also with the help of a simple abdominal ultrasound. The treatment can be with antibiotics.

Another cause of this could be old blood which is present inside the uterus which is now being expelled out. Sometimes after a period, some blood can be left behind and the longer it stays inside the uterus the darker it becomes. this would usually settle down after a week to ten days.

Lastly the dark brown discharge can also be due to a hormonal imbalance which can occur because of stress, anxiety or even due to a recent viral illness. Usually hormonal imbalances can also delay your period or cause it to come early. It can also cause abdominal pain etc. In most cases it would settle down on its own however if this persists, such as in your case, then medications can be used to reset your cycle.

But in short if the discharge has been present for a week and does not seem to be slowing down then you should have this evaluated.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Health Professional: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor (MD/DO) replied 9 months ago

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.