Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

My husband is a 44 year old from Portugal. He works in

My husband is a 44...
My husband is a 44 year old from Portugal. He works in construction so his work week is 6 days with physical labor.His diet is lean, always eating meats and rice. He drinks a glass of wine every night. He doesn’t drink much water.His skin is always itchy. He is always flatulent in the morning yet doesn’t have regular bowel movements. What concerns me the most is that he is losing weight.About 5 months ago we went to the dr for blood work for this and nothing appeared out of the ordinary.
I️ hit send prematurely. I am concerned because he is concerned that his weight continues to drop. He is now down to 125 pounds. He is almost 6 feet tall.I am encouraging him to go to the dr, but what should I️ be telling the dr to look for? Weight loss usually indicates cancer but his blood work came back normal; however I️ don’t know if that’s what they were looking for.He did mention that he once had a parasite as a child. Is this something that could come back?Any information would be appreciated. I’m at a loss here and I’m not sure what to say to convince him to go back to the dr.Regards
11/22/2017
Dr Uzaer
Dr Uzaer, Doctor

Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Weight loss does not always indicate cancer. Drastic weight loss of more than 20 lbs in a month without changing diet or activity can indicate cancer but still does not mean it is cancer.

With cancer there are other symptoms like evening fever, lethargy, loss of appetite and a cachexic look.

Being afraid that the doctor might detect cancer and not seeking medical attention is something I would advise against. This could be malabsorption, parasites, chronic infections like tuberculosis or sarcoidosis, bad diet, stress etc. So many causes come to mind before cancer even hits the list. Having normal labs just six months back further rules cancer out.

My suggestion is to go and see the doctor, have a detailed review and then go from there.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Dr Uzaer
Dr Uzaer, Doctor
Thank you Dr. He does not have any of those other symptoms. He is very stressed but does not have any symptoms of sarcoidosis or tuberculosis.
Malabsorption or a parasite seem to come up more often.I️ will continue to encourage him to go to the dr. We have a toddler and are recently married so this is very important to get him there.Thank you for your comments. You’ve been very helpful!!

I am so glad I could help.

Take good care.