Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

Hgb 5.7 (female) noted today.. I questioned the MD office…

Good evening. Hgb 5.7...

Good evening. Hgb 5.7 (female) noted today.. I questioned the MD office today regarding the low hgb. I said the normal for female is 12-14 or so. The office assistance said it was borderline low (5.7) and that this low result was ok. I questioned her again. That the hgb was in fact a low reading ( I am a RN) she was going to let MD know. She also said that my vit d was low and that could contribute to low hgb. Will call MD tomorrow. 2 years ago my hgb was 3.4 (I was alert and oriented - but received 4 units. ) no active bleeding noted at all no active bleed noted this time either. I am tired and don't have much energy. Please advise. Thank you in advance.

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

Fatigue. Taking naps during day. No energy. Appetite fine, no fever, no rash

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had a fever? Do you have any respiratory symptoms?

Yes. Short of breath but I also have asthma. Get sob when I work around the house

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Had full gi work up. Normal results. MD unable to find any source of a bleed

11/21/2017
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor (MD/DO)
Welcome to Ja and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually a level of 5.7 is very low, not borderline low. This low hb certainly explains the fatigue and tiredness that you have and this needs to be corrected as soon as possible. Secondly a low vitamin D does not contribute to the low hb, a low vitamin b12 can certainly cause a low hb but vitamin d does not.
Secondly the causes eof the low hb must be determined and the first step would be to look at the mcv and MCH, these would tell us what type of anemia you have. Based in this you would have further investigations like iron and b12 studies. If bleeding is suspected as a cause and the normal gi workup is negative then a red cell tagged scan should be done along with a capsule endoscopy which would help determine the cause. If that comes out to be negative and the stool for occult blood is positive then a CT angiogram may be considered.
Apart from this a bone marrow biopsy should also be done which would be helpful in determining the cause here.
But this hb is not borderline low, it is significantly low. And this should be treated as soon a spossible.
Do you have anymore questions?
Please remember to leave a positive rating as that is how we are compensated for helping you today.
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor (MD/DO)
Thank you for the wonderful advice
You are welcome.
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor (MD/DO)