Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

I have an eye infection not clearing with topical. And I’m…

I have an eye...

I have an eye infection not clearing with topical

Doctor's Assistant: When was the last time you had your eyes checked? In general, how has your vision been lately?

And I’m wkndering if they put me on an oral antibiotic which one would be least likely to cause a yeast infection (just battled a recurring one for a year ! And cat go throigg

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Through that again

Sorry yes I have allergic contact dermatitis
Checked less than 2 weeks ago, getting checked again soon
My vision has been fine I just have a persistent yellow/green drainage from eye for 6 weeks now!
11/21/2017
Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Doctor (MD)

Welcome to just answer

In a duration of 6 weeks if you are having only persistent eye discharge, with no change in vision or appearance of other symptoms like eye swelling, redness, sensitivity to light etc, then the reason most probably is not infection in the eyeball. There are two possibilities -

- allergic conjunctivitis - since you are prone to skin allergy, you might having the same in the eye also. The treatment for this is apply cold compresses to eye, take oral anti-allergy like T Levorid, use lubricating eye drops like refresh tears 3-4 times a day and anti-allergy eye drops like Visine -A 2-3 times a day. These medicines are all available over the counter

- Blockage of the nasolacrimal duct (NLD), which is responsible for drainage of excess tears from eye. In that case, the bacteria ca grow in lacrimal sack and cause the excessive discharge. To diagnose this, you need to consult an Ophthalmologist and would need antibiotic eye drops

I would recommend you to first treat yourself for eye allergy, If there is no improvement, then consult an Ophthalmologist for a detailed evaluation

Hope this information is helpful

Regards

Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Doctor (MD)