Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

I am having chest pain above my left breast but under my

collar bone. It also shoots...
I am having chest pain above my left breast but under my collar bone. It also shoots around to my left shoulder and back occasionally. If I press on it, it hurts more. Almost like it’s a bruise I’m pressing on.
I have had this off and on since March. I have been to the ER twice thinking it was a heart attack, once in March and once in June. Both times I was given an EKG which was normal and blood tests which were normal. I also had a chest X-ray done which was normal. My primary care doctor also has given me an EKG. They suggested anxiety which I do have but this is not anxiety as when I push on it, it definitely hurts. Ibuprofen helps sometimes and somewhat. It doesn’t hurt when I sleep. Once I can get comfortable and fall asleep, I can sleep fine. I know it’s not a heart attack at this point. I’m 36, I do smoke. I don’t drink. They have given me an abdominal cat scan which was Normal and so many blood labs, also all normal.
I’m leaning towards muscular skeletal but I can’t help but be nervous. I’m away in a foreign country and don’t fly home until Monday night and would like to wait to see a doctor yet again until I get home. It hurts when I cough though I’m not coughing much. I did see urgent care before I left and they said my lungs sound great as did my heart and my vitals were excellent.
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
It hurts more as the day goes on though I have the pain all day and night. I do carry a heavy purse on my left shoulder but no idea if that is a cause. Urgent care did prescribe me prednisone but she was a PA and didn’t seem confident about why she was giving it to me so I haven’t taken it yet.
11/21/2017
Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor

Hello,I am Dr. Aren and I will help with your query.The commonest cause of chest pain is musculoskeletal strain and muscle problems like pull or small tears due to overstraining.Since the chest muscles are involved in respiration and do not get rest,the healing of such tissues generally takes time,use of muscle relaxants like Thiocolchicide and NSAIDs like Ibubrufen and Naproxen will help in easing the pain .Prednisolone will not really help,avoid straing the muscle in the area and get your cough treated by your doctor.This will help in easing the pain.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I don’t actually have a cough. I occasionally cough but it’s more of a tickle in my throat once in awhile.My fear is I flew here and I have to fly home a week from today (live in Boston visiting Scotland). Is there anything it could be that would cause it to be unsafe to fly?

I do not anticipate any problems while flying,taking soothing lozenges fo rthe throat irritation should help.

Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Thank you! While I am certain the pain isn’t caused by my anxiety, my pain is causing me anxiety. The doctors have all assured me this isn’t a heart attack as have the tests but you can’t help but be nervous having pain in the chest and feeling it’s tight. I am definitely planning on seeing my primary again if it gets worse or stays around but it’s no fun going in a foreign country if it can be helped.
Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor