Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

I am from India and my dad has been advised with only 30…

Customer Question
I am from India...

I am from India and my dad has been advised with only 30 percent of his liver functioning

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

I want to check what treatments are available

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No symptoms as such except he was a heavy drinker of alcohol and just a week back realised this condition of liver

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Health
Here is the report
Also what is the survival rate with such a liver condition?
11/20/2017
Health Professional: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor (MD/DO) replied 3 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor (MD/DO)

Welcome t JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your father. I just came online to see that you have been waiting for some time so ill quickly answer this question for you. Actually his fibroscan of the liver indicates that he has cirrhosis of the liver, this essentially means that his liver has shrunken down and hardened as a result of the drinking. Alcohol can over time severely damage the liver and in these situations it is unlikely that the liver will regain any normal functioning. Once the liver is damaged this severely, there are NO treatments which are available to reverse the damage. All the treatments at this point in time are to prevent the complications from occurring. This means that treatment i=ncluding beta blockers would be given to reduce the chance of him vomiting up blood, his diet would be adjusted to prevent development of fluid inside the abdomen and to prevent him from falling unconscious (encephalopathy). Now the prognosis or survival rate depends on the presence or absence of complications in this situation. This means if he has had symptoms like vomiting up blood, passing black colored stools, abdominal distension due to fluid etc then he has a 3 year survival rate of about 20-25%, which means only about 20-25% of the patients with these symptoms survive for 3 years. if he does NOT have these complications then the survival rate is much better which is about 65-70%. However once the complications develop the survival rate dips significantly.

The ONLY viable treatment option in this situation is a liver transplant which removes the damaged liver and replaces it with a new liver from a living donor even. This can lead to improvement of the condition and extend his life span by upto 10-20 years or even longer.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor (MD/DO)