Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

Our son is almost 14 months. But he is still not walking. He

can stand/cruise with support. He...
Our son is almost 14 months. But he is still not walking. He can stand/cruise with support. He can not stand without any support. And when it comes to walk he folds his knees and doesn't want to walk. But he can crawl very fast. He can walk with walking toys. We are not using any walker, as walker is not recommended for babies.
We are trying couple ways. But when it comes to walk without any support or by holding his hands he gives up. He folds his legs and start crying by not showing interest to walk. It's becoming very stressful for us to teach him walking and also we are worried about him not learning or not willing to walk.
Please advise.
11/20/2017
Richard Han
Richard Han, Doctor (MD)

Hello and thank you for your question. My name is***** am a board-certified pediatrician and I am happy to help you. Please answer a few questions for me. Was your son born full term or prematurely, and if prematurely how many weeks gestation was he at birth? Is he otherwise achieving all his other developmental milestones? (social, fine motor etc.) Does he have any chronic medical problems, take any medications regularly, or see any specialists? Thank you in advance for your replies.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Thanks for your reply. My son was born full term at 39 weeks. He is achieving other developmental milestones. He does not have any chronic medical problems. He has eczema so we took him to the dermatologist but now, his eczema is under control.

Thank you for that information. Walking is a typical developmental milestone that has a tremendous variability of timing and occurrence. In over 15 years of practicing pediatrics, I have seen perfectly healthy, normal children walk as early as 9 months (!) and as late as 16-18 months. The average "normal range" given by most text books and websites in 12-15 months. Your son is still well within the normal time period for not having acquired the ability to walk yet. From his perspective, it's much easier, faster and probably more fun to crawl quickly as I'm sure you've grown to appreciate. Given that he can already do that, I can surmise that his muscle strength and nervous system control and coordination are all normal. "Teaching" your son to walk isn't actually necessary, all children naturally acquire the skill through trial and error over time. I see from your question that you have been trying to encourage him to do so, but much like potty training in the future, if he is not self-motivated for the time being, better to take a more relaxed watch and wait approach. When you see him starting to pull up to stand and venture to take a few steps, then encourage and praise him for it. Before you know it, he'll be toddling along, and moving faster on his two feet than he ever did crawling on all fours!

Have I addressed all your questions and concerns?

If you have no further questions, please click the button to accept the answer and conclude our interaction. I would also appreciate the kindness of a 5 star positive review. Thank you.

Richard Han
Richard Han, Doctor (MD)
Richard Han
Richard Han
Richard Han, Doctor (MD)