Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

I have been experiencing pain in my left thumb. Not where it…

I have been experiencing...

I have been experiencing pain in my left thumb. Not where it connects to the wrist but where it connects to the hand. It also has been popping out of joint

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

4 weeks or so. I thought it was because I had been riding my bike a lot and it’s where I shift the gears, but I’ve been off the bike for weeks and it isn’t getting better. I’m 58 so I guess it could be arthritis. It came on fast tho

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

My mom has rheumatoid arthritis

11/19/2017
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor

Hello and thank you for the question.
Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Consultant and I will do my best to help you today.

As per your description, this looks like arthritis (joint inflammation), synovitis (inflammation of sheath around the joint) or tendonitis (inflammation of tendon) around the joint.

You should give this joint rest.

Heat application will help.

And anti-inflammatory drugs like Motrin will be helpful as well.

And if this persist, doesn't improve or get worse, then clearly you need to have it examined by a doctor and an Xray of the joint will be useful initial test to diagnose underlying problem with certainty.

Good luck

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service as this is the only way I get credit for my time and expertise on your question.
If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Kindest Regards.

I have been worried not to take Ibuprofen or naproxen. Lately it seems like they are finding heart issues.. Should I take it or just wait until I get it crated?
X rayed

That depends upon the severity of pain.

There is no harm in taking small OVER THE COUNTER doses of Motrin.

Great. I will do so
Thank you!

Good Luck

Welcome :)

Please do not forget to Rate my service as this is the only way I get credit for my time and expertise on your question.

Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Sure will