Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

I was drinking water from a glass and when I finished I

I was drinking water...

I was drinking water from a glass and when I finished I noticed something hard in my mouth. Spit it out and it was glass. There were over shards left in the bottom of the glass as well I'm concerned I may have swallowed some and am having severe panic attacks now. I don't know if I should induce vomiting or go to the ER.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?

It just happened.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I'm just concerned that I swallowed the glass.

11/19/2017
Onlinedoc
Onlinedoc, General Physician

Hello and thanks for your question.
It's my first priority to help you.
I'm reviewing your question now & will post back with the reply soon.

Please provide some additional information.

When this incident happened to you?

Nausea,vomiting,sore throat? Pain abdomen?

Any other symptoms?

Any other medical illness?

Are you taking any medicine?

Thanks.
Waiting for your reply.
I will post back with the reply/answer momentarily. Thank you for your patience.

This happened about half an hour ago. I didn't notice anything until the bottom of the glass. My main symptom being severe anxiety.
I am on hormone replacement therapy and anxiety medications.

I understand your concern.

As per your describe,if you have swallowed glass, especially small fragments is not seen easily on X-ray.

In most of the cases,tiny pieces of glass will pass through the gut and intestines without incidence.

Still on a safer side, you can watch for any pain abdomen,vomiting,blood in stools in next 12- 48 hours.

In the meanwhile ,you should eat bananas,potatoes and drink plenty of fluids.

Eat citrucel which adds bulk to stool helping in passing out such tiny pieces safely from intestines.

In case of pain, you may like to consult your physician or visit ER. At the moment no active intervention is needed.

Feel free for further queries. It's good to discuss rather than quit.
Your satisfaction is our goal.
Please leave positive rating by clicking 5 stars above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get after positive feedback.
Avoid poor/bad rating.
Bonus is highly appreciated.
We are here to help you until you satisfy.
Thanks.

I don't know wether or not I should go to the ER, induce vomiting, take a laxative, or just go to bed.
Ok I can drink Citrucel. I don't have any potatoes or bananas. Will oatmeal be a reasonable substitute?

I understand your worry.

I wouldn't advise you to visit ER now if you don't have any symptoms.

You should avoid to induce vomiting also as it can result in esophageal mucosal irritation.

You should take some food,oatmeal ,citrucel and maintain a good hydration.

You should can take laxative only in case you will not have bowel movement in next 12 hours.

I hope this answers your question. If you would like to discuss this further or have any additional questions, please reply to my answer and I will get right back to you.
Please avoid poor/bad rating.
Please leave positive rating by clicking 5 stars above the chat box if you are satisfied with our conversation.
Waiting for your reply.

Those were all the glass pieces I found

Do you think some fragments of glasses are missing from your broken utensil glass?

Thanks.

Waiting for your reply.

I cannot find any broken spots. But I will throw it away as I don't know where it broke.
Thank you

Thank you for replying back.

I understand your concern.

As per your description, A small piece of the size you mentioned is unlikely to cause any problem or symptom.

You should eat oatmeal and citrucel.

And maintain a good hydration.

In next 24-48 hours,eat bananas and potatoes also.

Please avoid poor/bad rating.
Waiting for your reply.

Thank you for your advice! Have a good night or day, depending on where you are!

Good wishes for your health.

Thanks.
Take care.

Onlinedoc
Onlinedoc, General Physician