Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

Do autistic children know it is wrong to steal over and over…

Do autistic children know...

Do autistic children know it is wrong to steal over and over again? If so, why do they do it?

Doctor's Assistant: Is the patient socially responsive? Verbal? Any other symptoms you'd like to share?

She is very responsive and highly functional. Socially she struggles with peers. She has no close friends. She cannot maintain social relationships. She is 15 years old.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Medically she is fine. She was adopted at 13 months. There is no ackground about my daughters parents

I will send testing results and iep later on today.
11/18/2017
Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Doctor (MD)
Hello, and thank you for choosing Justanswer about your concern. I’m Dr Ted Manos M.D., and I can respond shortly.
Repetitive stealing is not typical unless it’s the same commodity each time. Difficulty with social skills would tend to reduce the need to obtain something other than they feel comfortable with I hope my information is satisfactory.
Originally it started with my daughter raking things, clothes, tools, makeup, etc from anyone in the family. While she still does this, her stealing amped up to taking money and stealing gift cards from both my ither daughter and I. Now, she has graduated into stealing credit cards. About 5 months ago, she took my mothers cards and used them for small purchases like lunchor to buy junk atthe Acme. She is very inappropriate on the phonr, so we took it away. She has stolen myhusbands card once to buy a cell phone which he was able to return and my credit card twice to purchase two other inexpensive phones phones. She seems to thonk that ger actions are justified, because she needs to talk with her friends. Most of the people she associates are not really friends anyway. Would you consider this the same commodity?
This behavior is well beyond my expertise. There is one thing to avoid social contact, but the type of stealing is definitely out of my league. You need to consult someone trained in adolescent behavior or the courts will eventually become involved.
Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Doctor (MD)
Dr. Amir Javed
Phone call session started
I did not get a phone call.