Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

Had a Hep C test. Result is .14. What does this mean? Is

Had a Hep C test...
Had a Hep C test. Result is .14. What does this mean? Is that positive?
JA: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?
Customer: None!
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No. Just had test done. .14 was result. Says anything over .09 is positive. Is that accurate? Does .14 mean I have it
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Could u not send email and respond on this page
11/18/2017
Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Doctor (MD)
Hello, and thank you for choosing Justanswer about your test. I’m Dr Ted Manos M.D. and I can respond in a moment.
The hep c test screens for antibodies to the hep c virus and if over .09 then you’ve been exposed to the virus in the past. Your immunity may have stopped the virus particularly if you don’t have symptoms of an infection. The next thing they’ll do is draw blood and look for hep c RNA that will mean you need to be treated. If the hep RNA is negative you are clear of the virus. Your doctor will share the information about this issue and can alleviate your concerns. I hope you find my information satisfactory.
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I had unprotected sex on Saturday. Got the test within 80 hours. Would it be picked up that quickly through that contact?
No! The test becomes positive 6 or more weeks from exposure to the hep c virus. Hopefully you don’t test positive for the virus itself. Whoever you had unprotected sex with would be at risk from picking it up from you.
Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Doctor (MD)
Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Doctor (MD)