Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

My ggt level is 80. I have been drinking for months. If I…

My ggt level is...

My ggt level is 80. I have been drinking for months. If I abstain from liquor, will the ggt levels go down?

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

Nothing

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Absolutely nothing M fit and fine

11/17/2017
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

Let me at the outset tell you that a single liver investigation like GGT being elevated with rest of all liver function tests being normal, there is all the chance that it is not denoting any significant medical issue and your liver is likely to be normal. The liver function tests are interpreted in conjunction with all blood test together with medical imaging studies. Collectively only they can give a diagnosis. Just a solitary raised investigation does not point or predict an illness.

Liver gamma glutamyl transpeptidase (GGT) can be raised by:

1) alcohol,
2) phenytoin,
3) barbiturates, and
4) warfarin.

Clinically, its main utility is suggesting a liver source for an elevated alkaline phosphatase.

It has a low predictive value (32%) for hepatobiliary (liver and bile) disease, as it is present in numerous body compartments, including kidney tubules, pancreas (ductules and acinar cells), heart, lung, and brain.

Other clinical conditions in which GGT elevation has been reported are;

1) diabetes mellitus,
2) hyperthyroidism,
3) rheumatoid arthritis, and
4) chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.

Its clinical utility in assessing surreptitious alcohol use is questionable, as it has a half-life of 26 days and demonstrates poor correlation with alcohol binging.

In addition, normal GGT levels have been reported in more than 35% of people who consume more than 80 g of alcohol per day and still it is normal.
Thus with all this discussion, I hope, your anxiety would resolve. The sensitivity and specificity of GGT raise alone is low to diagnose a disease.

If you abstain from liquor; GGT in all likely would come down to normal.

" I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!”.

It is privilege assisting you. Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating. The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.You can continue to ask questions after positive feedback.Thank you.Wishing you all the very best in life.http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl
Thanks very much for the advice. Much relieved.
Other liver functions are normal.
No other symptoms.

You are very welcome.

There is no worry.

Please relax.

Best wishes,

It was my pleasure to help you.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drarunphophalia/

Stay blessed.

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)