Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

Over the past 3 yrs I have had a hip replaced, colon surgery…

Over the past 3...

Over the past 3 yrs I have had a hip replaced, colon surgery for a blockage, Herenia surgery for 5 herenias , and surgery for a spot of skin cancer that was completely removed. It has been 6 most since my last surgery . Last week I had a blood lab done and my WBC was 13.5, Should I be concerned? I am pretty active, my Rt. Hip inflamed pretty good as well as amuscle or tendon strain to my right arm this past couple weeks.

Doctor's Assistant: Are you keeping a personal medical record while dealing with this?

Yes

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have had both hips replaced and from my colon surgery I had a temporary colostomy which was reversed. I also had a back fusion in 2013.

11/14/2017
Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Doctor (MD)

Hi, Dr. Mo here with JA. Please let me review the information and I'll reply shortly.

Are you on any prescription medications by any chance?

Also, do you happen to know the breakdown of the WBC?

I take linisopel, nexium, metroprol, Lipitor
and baby asprin. The dr has not done a breakdown of WBC

With a WBC of only 13.5 and you not having any new symptoms such as few or sudden weight loss then I wouldn't worry at all. However, often, a breakdown is helpful because it provides that much more information.

I don't have any reason to be worried about this so far.

I have not had any wt. loss, night sweats, brusing, nothing,,,I feel healthy and normal

That's wonderful.

I have no reason to worry about a WBC of 13.5.

My PCM wants refer me to Hemotalogist
Since my WBC has been mildly elevated off and on over the past year.

I don't recommend that but I don't think it hurts.

I would only advise for further testing if your WBC keeps climbing up higher and higher. But if it's holding steady under 15, then I see no reason to be alarmed.

It has gone from 14.1 to 13.5 when it was checked the last couple of weeks. Just before that I had strained a muscle or tendon in my upper arm and it ached pretty bad. Also I had done yard work and my hip hurt pretty bad, I think from inflamation, exercised it to much, could these be factors for the elevation?

Absolutely.

Exercise, pain, stress, dehydration and all sorts of other causes can elevated your WBC. I really don't think you need a referral if your WBC went down. Your doctor perhaps just wants to be overly careful but I don't see a need at this time.

I will close out for now, thank you for your help and assurance, my PCM is not to forthcoming with this type of infromation, l've tried to give you an honest assessment of my present health, so again thank you for your expertise.

Happy to help.

Hope I have you a 5-star service.

Let me know if any other questions come up.

Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Doctor (MD)
Further information, referred to Hematology. Lab Tests ordered were CBC W/Auto Diff; Ferritin test and iron + iron Binding Capacity. These tests were triggered by a WBC starting at 14.1 on 30 Oct, 13.5 on 6 Nov and now 12.4 on 13 Dec. The rest of CBC Lab results were: RBC 5.15; Hemogl 14.0; Hematoc 43.6; MCV 84.7; MCH 27.2; MCHC 32.1; RDW SD 15.3; Platets 217;
MPV 8.0; Neutrophils Seg 48.0; Lympocytes 39.0; Monocytes 10.0; Eosinophils 3.0. My Ferritin Lab result was 36 ng/ml.
My iron + iron Binding Capacity Total Lab results were: Iron 57 mcg/dl; Hemolysis Index 3; Icteric Index 1; Lipemia Index 13;
Iron Binding Capacity Unsaturated 376 mcg/dl; Iron Binding Capacity total 433 mcg/dl and Iron Saturation 13.2.
Am I OK?

I don't see anything that's concerning from these lab results.

I am at a loss Dr. Mo, Hematologist just called. He felt further investigation was needed due to a tissue exam that indicated
higher than normal WBC. He wants to do a bone marrow bioposy to have a more definitive answer, I asked him if it was cancer, he didn't know but wouldn't rule it out. He tried to comfort me by saying at this point it wasn't life threatening or that I was in intimate danger. I don't kmow what to make of this

It's quite unlikely that it's cancer.

I can understand their vigilance to want to make sure and figure out why you have the white blood cells. But what tissue exam did you have done that sparked them to want to do a bone marrow biopsy?

I don't have that information at the moment. Apparently some type of exam that looked at blood cell numbers as well as to what they look like I don't mean to sound dumb, I will have to let you know tomorrow.
The Hematologist was concerned that maybe elevated WBC had been going on for a couple of year or maybe just a couple of months I would have thought my surgeons would have said something.

No, you're not sounding dumb at all! I actually think I know what you're referring to - it's a peripheral tissue smear. In that case it's good to let them do the bone marrow biopsy. It could just be inflammation, it doesn't mean it's cancer.

If it is not cancer, what could it be? How common are these tests used?

Even a simple viral infection or over the counter or prescription medications can cause you to have some abnormality in your peripheral smear. It doesn't mean something dangerous is going on. We use peripheral smears and bone marrow biopsies quite a bit when there is an abnormality on blood tests that we can't explain.

It is scaring this novice, sorry.
I will have a better answer for you tomorrow about the type tissue exam.

Absolutely. It's totally understandable.

I asked the Hematologist about the information I had and have occasionally, He felt the elevated WBC didn't fit the pattern of
inflamation. I don't know what he meant by that.

I'm not sure, that's not quite enough information to tell you what his thought process was. However, I think it's in your best interest to have the hematologist do more digging and make sure there is nothing serious underlying the cause of the elevated WBC.

I will reconnect tomorrow.