Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

I have noticed a whistling nose in my nose when I exhale the

last several weeks, and my...
I have noticed a whistling nose in my nose when I exhale the last several weeks, and my husband says my snoring has gotten much worse.
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Are you having any breathing problems?
Customer: Wondering if I should see the doctor
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No breathing problems
10/21/2017
Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD, Doctor (MD)

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.com

This is Dr. John and I will be helping you today.

I will be reviewing your question and will respond shortly.

I may need to ask a few more questions in order to best serve you.

Thank you for your patience.

Answers here are for education and information only.

I have a few more questions to ask, is that ok?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Yep go ahead

any nasal congestion or allergies?
Any cough or sore throat?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No allergies, no cough, no congestion or sore throat also I notice at work, when I get up to do something and am talking, I yawn constantly. I'm an MRI tech and when I get up from sitting at the computer to get the patient or get them off the table, while talking to them I yawn constantly. It's annoying.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am very overweight and probably have sleep apnea but couldn't tolerate CPAP. Planning to try a mouthpiece
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I do have acid reflux but I control it by taking ppi inhibitor, not eating several hours before bed, gaviscon
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The whistle is happening right now, just sitting in a chair. That and the yawning and increase in snore decibel is what I'm worried about

so a couple thoughts:

swelling and irritation of the lining of the nasal passage can cause the symptoms you are describing.
Typically will have patients try a nasal saline rinse and an oral antihistamine such as Zyrtec or Claritin.

If no improvement in a week, then would consider work up for sleep apnea and would recommend that you see your doctor and let them know about your symptoms as well as the daytime yawning.

Often times, a weight loss program can help with sleep apnea if you are overweight and you might not need the CPAP or other sleep apnea machines

Does that make sense?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it does. I am definitely going to try to loose weight although I have failed so often :-(. But I know even 10 pounds can make a difference so I'm going to try focusing on that. I will try the nasal rinse and antihistamine as well. Thank you.

You’re welcome and glad to be able to help you today!

I would like to thank you for your question and I hope you found my answer informative and helpful.

Please remember to leave a rating by clicking the series of 5 stars at the top of the screen.

The experts here at JustAnswer only get credit for the answer once you leave a rating for us.

You can also add a bonus if you were extremely happy with our service today.

You can always return and ask follow up questions if needed.

- Dr John.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm 47 and have lost weight only to gain back what I lost and more so many times in my life. I have had a bad few months with my mental health (MDD) which was stable for many years on medication, but I seem to be coming out the other side, so now will be a good time to try.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thanks!

I agree that this is a great time to try!

Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD, Doctor (MD)
Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD, Doctor (MD)