Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

I have been prescribed clonazepam for some very severe panic…

I have been prescribed...

I have been prescribed clonazepam for some very severe panic attacks.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?

Its been happening for a few weeks. It was partly due to alcohol withdrawal, but I have stayed away from that for a few days, now. Symptoms were subsiding. However, I desperately needed sleep and took some melatonin last night. I didn't think that would have a negative effect, but I started to feel panicky again. So, I researched interaction between the two and now I'm afraid.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Chronic insomnia had nearly always been a thing, so melatonin is just my go-to.

10/19/2017
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor (MD/DO)

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Just to confirm, are you worried about the interaction of increased sedation between the two?

moreso, the fact that when I Googled info on it, that I found conflicting answers-- some including death and coma. I'm wondering if it is that severe and whether to go to an ER, or if I can manage through it until the melatonin is out of my system.

Thanks for the additional information, let me just write down an answer for you and ill get back to you in a few mins. If you get a phone call request, that is an automated site response. I DID NOT send it. Thanks!

Actually you are correct there is an interaction between the two drugs which is that of increased sedation however if you have taken both of the drugs at a time difference of about 4-6 hours, then it is unlikely that you will suffer from serious adverse effects. Basically what happens is that when you take both clonazepam and melatonin together, that leads to an increased chance of you falling asleep or unconscious however when you take them with a time difference of about 4-6 hours, the severity of the effect is much much lower.

You CAN use both of them together provided you are being monitored closely, using melatonin with clonazepam is not completely contraindicated. Secondly since you took the melatonin last night, its effects would wear off after 10-12 hours at the most.

The side effect of coma and death ARE EXTREMELY RARE and not seen in common clinical practice and infact i also advise using melatonin even with clonazepam or other benzodiazepines in my patients who suffer from chronic insomnia.

So basically you dont have to worry in this situation, since you took the melatonin last night, its effects would be wearing off soon and you can simply wait it out. The interaction between these two is NOT THAT severe.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor (MD/DO)