Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

I have really bad knee pain and it's keeping me awake!:( I'm…

Customer Question
I have really bad...

I have really bad knee pain and it's keeping me awake!:(

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?

I'm icing it now but it's killing me:(

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Health
My knee is killing me what should I do??
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
10/19/2017
Health Professional: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor (MD/DO) replied 4 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor (MD/DO)

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. There are a few measures which you can take in order to control the pain, such as,

• OTC anti inflammatory agents like ibuprofen at a dose 800 mg thrice a day
  • OTC tylenol 1 g thrice a day
  • OTC capsiacin gel over the area
  • Apply ACE bandage on the knee
  • If there is no swelling over the knee then shift to heating the knee for 10-15 minutes a day.

If these measures dont help at all then you need to head to the Er and get this evaluated with the help of a xray and a doppler ultrasound to rule out a blood clot.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

What gel is it called? I can't even sleep I'm in so much pain, I just took meloxicam at midnight. Can I take ibuprofen now?

Yes you can take another dose of ibuprofen right now AND you can also take OTC tylenol 1 g as well with the ibuprofen. You can find capsiacin under the name of capsagel at your local pharmacy.

Do you have any more questions?

Okay thanks, ***** ***** call my doctor in morning and see if he can give me something for pain?

Yes if the pain does not improve then see your doctor.

Do you have any more questions?

Okay thank you so much! The pain is about a ten right now and I'm feeling sick

If the above measures dont work then you should definitely go to the ER even tonight.

Do you have any more questions?

I'm thinking about going to the ER!
It's only one knee that hurts!

If the pain is a ten and it is NOT improving at all then this should be evaluated in the ER. Usually minor issues do resolve with the combination i described above however if it does not then a doppler ultrasound and xray SHOULD be done to determine the underlying cause. In that situation it is possible that the pain can be due to gout if it is only in the knee and there is no swelling.

What do they do for gout!

IV painkillers, uric acid reducing drugs and if necessary steroids. But the primary thing is to CONTROL the pain.

Do you have any more questions?

Health Professional: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor (MD/DO) replied 3 months ago

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor (MD/DO)