Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

What do you draw from this cat scan? Stroke?

10/16/2017
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)

Why was it done?

My son had what we think a stroke when he was born and we tried to get an mri when he was a baby but couldn’t. He is 14 now and wanted to see what his brown looked like. A friend of a friend took a cat scan and we are assuming this is a stroke like we thought

Would be better if it had been done with contrast

Looks like a previous intracerebral hemorrhage that would be consistent with a hemorrhagic stroke

Contrast from when he was born? We tried but we couldn’t get him sedated when he was a baby to do it
Would that cause a muscle weakness on his left side like he has

Yes it would cause that

Are these type of strokes reoccurring at all

No--not like ischemic strokes

is this possibly from having the umbilical cord wrapped around his neck when he was born? Does that cause this type of storke

No, not from that--that would cause an ischemic stroke

what causes this type

It's a bleed inside the brain from a ruptured artery

it just happens

Yes

it causes this type of stroke that is not reoccurring and can cause muscle weakness in left arm and leg and slight stuttering?

It could, yes

Is there anything else it could be from the pic you see

Not from that one cut, no

Is there anything else you recommend? He is happy and healthy and is a straight a student but he will be driving soon and we want to make sure we don’t need to do anything else

Haven't you discussed all this with his doctor?

It was a pediatric neurologist years ago and he didn’t say much because we couldn’t do the mri
I trust you

So what exactly is your concern?

Just make sure there isn’t something else their hat we missed

No--nothing more there--it's old and really nothing more to worry about

Ok I was more concerned that it wouldn’t reoccur that’s all

No--this was a one time thing

What causes the Repsher artery in the brain? Was it anything that could’ve been during my pregnancy or was it during delivery?

Most likely it occurred during delivery but there was nothing you could have done about it

How can you tell the difference of the types of strokes? Where the damage is?

By the ct scan but not from a particular location

This one shows a typical hemorrhagic stroke

Should be have had surgery when he was a baby’s to prevent further bleeding? How do we know if there is still bleeding

I don't have enough information to answer that and we're getting way off course here

Would he have obvious health problems if there were still brain issues? All he has is weakness on left side and like I said some stuttering? What else would be going on if there is still bleeding

I'm sure there's no more bleeding

But we really need to stop here with a rating

You are confident we don’t have anything to worry about? I just was needing to know if there would be any signs that we need to be aware of
Then I will rate

I'm sure there's nothing to worry about

The pics you saw were from last year at this time
No symptoms to watch for?

Nothing you need to watch for

are you trying to say it’s not a reoccurring stroke and what is done is done and no more brain damage from that particular stroke. It was a pic from 2 years ago sorry not last year
The physical therapists when he was younger calls it CP muscle spastic something
Do you agree

Not a recurring stroke

Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Do you agree with the last message
I will rate but I hope you respond aboub the CP

Well CP muscle spasm is a fairly nonspecific term

Spastic Cerebral Palsey. They said it was a very slight case of it. He can completely walk on his own but he does have little usage of left hand. But he does have some.
Muscles are smaller and weaker in left arm and leg and his left hand clinches up when his brian is focused on doing something specific

OK but what do you need to know about that?

Just curious if that type of stroke causes these things

Yes it can

Did you see his pic

Yes

Pretty typical hand?

So far as I can tell

He is so smart and funny and athletic

Great kid

I see other kids that are so far worse off than him I thank God every day for how healthy he really is

Good for you

Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)