Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

Had metatarsus adductus, severe arthritis, and severe

Hi. Had metatarsus adductus, severe...
Hi. Had metatarsus adductus, severe arthritis, and severe bunion. Toes were at 45 degree angle. I'm 53. Dr did wonderful reconstruction six weeks ago. Walking in boot slowly. But foot turns purplish, grayish when down even for a few minutes. Immediately resolves upon elevation. No pain. Swelling only in foot at surgical sites. No redness on incisions. Toenail beds are still good color. Is this normal? What can I do to improve it? Thank you.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No hot skin, no cold skin. Seen it commonly thruout net...but I would rather ask an expert than rely on internet. No lumps, nothing to indicate clot. Thanks
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Four screws, pin removed at five weeks and a plate below bunion area.
10/16/2017
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor (MD/DO)

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually the change in color and swelling is due to inadequate circulation in the foot which does happen commonly after this sort of surgery. Usually it can take upto 8 weeks to completely resolve or even longer in cases. In those situations where you had undiagnosed underlying vascular insufficiency or even a mild case of peripheral arterial disease, the effects can be pronounced and in that situation, it would take longer for the swelling to resolve completely.

Now usually the best way to help with this would be start physiotherapy after seeing your surgeon, with proper physiotherapy the swelling starts to occur less and less and even the change in color occurs less frequently. As far as what can be done to improve it, the best thing to do is to keep the foot elevated whenever you sit down, it would be difficult in some situations but elevation is the best solution for now until the area heals and the circulation is fully restored.

Another thing which can be done is to do a doppler ultrasound if the problem does not improve within the next 2 weeks, that can help document if you have any vascular insufficiency or peripheral arterial disease and in that situation you can be started on compression stockings etc to help with the circulation. Using supplements like omega 3 fatty acids, alpha lipoic acid may also be helpful in some cases as well.

But in short, yes this is to be expected however if it persists for another 2 weeks or actually worsens then see your doctor for a doppler ultrasound.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor (MD/DO)
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you so very much!

You are welcome.

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor (MD/DO)