Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

Putting edema in my legs..I’m 39. About 100 lbs overweight.

Customer Question
I’ve never had trouble with...
Putting edema in my legs..I’m 39. About 100 lbs overweight. I’ve never had trouble with leg swelling beyond a day or two up until about two months ago. Now they swell every day. I attributed it to my medicine; I was taking Verapamil. I read that can cause leg/ankle/foot swelling. I stopped taking it three days ago, and my legs were still swollen today. I do have a water pill that I take at night. I need to drink more water. My labs all came back normally...including kidney and liver function. And in July I had a 48 hour holster heart monitor...other than some palpitations, everything was perfectly normal. Should I be worried?
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Health
pitting edema...
10/15/2017
Health Professional: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD) replied 6 months ago
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

Thanks for the additional information. I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 4-5 minutes. If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

No. There is no worry. Effects of medicine may take almost a week or more to go. Also your liver and kidney function tests are normal. We associate edema of the feet and ankle as a serious symptom, but this is not true all the time. Many times it is due to posture or cause is not ascertainable and no vital organ dysfunction is associated.

Swelling of feet and ankle on both the sides can be associated because of the following reasons;

1) Venous valvular incompetence

2) Obstruction of the lymphatic outflow

3) Dependent edema which can occur because of the prolonged standing or sitting.

4) Congestive heart failure

5) Kidney diseases

6) Protein deficiency

7) Hypothyroidism

8) Anemia

9) Medications

Following measures are beneficial in decreasing or resolving the swelling:

1) Avoid prolonged standing or walking for long distances in a single stretch.

2) Whenever you sit; keep your legs elevated on a chair or a sofa or stool.Do not hang the legs, otherwise gravity will increase the swelling.

3) Exercises / physical therapy

a) Lie down straight and raise your leg and feet for 10-20 seconds. Repeat this for ten times (twice a day whole set).

b) When you sit; pull the feet towards you for 10-20 seconds. Repeat it for ten times twice a day.

4) Raise leg end of your bed by 6 inches.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

it could still be my meds? Timeline wise it makes sense to me. I started the med in July. Edema started toward the end of August. Before the med I had no problem; now I have an issue daily. It’s quite uncomfortable, so I really just want it to go away. One thing did show up in my blood work- low iron. I’m on a supplement now, so I think that’s fixed.

Low iron can be contributory to the edema.

Medicine effect may take some time to go.

As we discussed, this is unlikely to be worrisome.

I am sure, this will go away in due course of time.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Just Answer is based on honor system. Experts are paid for time and expertise only when a positive rating is received.

Best wishes,

It was my pleasure to help you.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drarunphophalia/

Stay blessed.

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)