Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

Taking 80 mg of Prozac. It helped a lot in the beginning…

Taking 80 mg of Prozac...
Taking 80 mg of Prozac. It helped a lot in the beginning with my eating, depression and OCD. Now I notice it is helping with the OCD, but I am depressed again and my eating is not good. I moved and need to find a new psychiatrist. Do you think I would feel worse if I wasn't taking It? Should I stop or add , change meds?
10/15/2017
Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Doctor (MD)

Hi, Dr. Mo here with JA. Please let me review the information and I'll reply shortly.

What is the eating disorder you are experiencing, is it lack of or excess appetite?

I wouldn't stop prozac, when it works it's a wonderful medication.

However, it might help to add wellbutrin since those 2 together work quite well in helping appetite and OCD symptoms.

I was binge eating then when started the Prozac it helped like never before. I naturally stopped and didn't need to try. I used to have like a good or bad day then that stopped and I was just maintain naturally then I lost. Now I feel like before to binge eat and have good and bad days. It's just a little different then before, but not the relief I had a few months ago. It was the first time I felt not worried about it and handled food normally.

I think there are 2 good options here. I'd certainly continue with prozac but your doctor can add in the wellbutrin or even adderall which is an ADHD medication but is used in binge eaters to control the binge moods. Have you recently been under more stress?

Okay, Thanks....I have been under a lot of stress. We moved back to the state I was born where I had a lot of trauma, my husband changes his work, I never knew my father and found who could be him years ago and have been talking to his cousin every now and then. He finally accepted to take DNA and he turned out to be my father. Then few weeks ago he told me he doesn't want a relationship with me because he doesn't know me and his wife is having panic attacks and chest pains cause of this. After all this I haven't been feeling like myself.
Also, I have not seen a therapist or psy since we moved in July. It has been difficult for me to find one. I really liked the ones I had before moving.
It sounds like there is a lot going on in your life right now.
it is true. Do you think it may have been worse without the prozac? Also, do you think the prozac stopped working or I am just under a lot of stress and may need something else as well.

I think it would have been much worse without Prozac which is why I think it's really good that you are on it.

I don't think Prozac stopped working, I think you are under a lot more stress which is breaking through the effects of Prozac.

Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Doctor (MD)
Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Doctor (MD)