Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

I am searching for answers as I cannot get any from my

Customer Question
Hello. I am searching...

Hello. I am searching for answers as I cannot get any from my hematologist. I have had Iron Difficency Anemia since 17 (32 at the moment). When first diagnosed my ferritin was 2. Fortunately an endocrinologist stabilized me for many years. Once he passed, I was at the hand of other doctors. This year I finally see a hematologist. After 5 years of trying to get my iron up I finally get an IV iron infusion. My question is my MPV was elevated at 12.3 before the infusion and 2 months later it’s still the same. All results normal, iron stablized. I still have effects of low iron and I can’t quite figure out why or what’s going on...

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? In general, how would you describe your health lately?

Well according to blood results (CBC, Vit B, Lipids etc etc) I am extremely healthy. I feel good most days, but since 2 weeks ago of stopping oral iron after infusion, I have been short of breath when exercising (I’m not talking about I can’t breathe, more like I can’t catch my breathe. More annoying not scary type). The main problem is my dizziness which will happen randomly. That’s mainly what I’m trying to figure out. I am not sure what make the symptoms worse. I’ve tried making sure I have a healthy diet (I’m 98% vegetarian), I’m eating calories to avoid hypoglycemia, drinking water often (which I can do a little better in that DEPT) and easy on the exercise for now...

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Well a long time ago in 2002 I went in for testing for autoimmune diseases and at the time they couldn’t figure it out. I have those red blood dots on my skin all over (identical twin sister’s doctor said could be a platelet thing) and at 17 I went to go donate blood the Red Cross said after that one time I should not donate blood anymore because of my platelets. I guess I barely had enough and they had to spin the blood and manually count it.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Health
10/6/2017
Health Professional: Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician replied 7 months ago
Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician

Are you on any medication? Please list anything you take

Synthroid 75mcg
Vitamin D 1000IUAnd most recently (2 days ago) 18 mg/mcg of iron (curry leaves only—plant based—no ferrous or carbonyl iron as I can’t tolerate) trying to see if my dizziness goes away as I feel this is very similar dizziness I have had from low iron.

What testing have you had recently?

This year: CBC (4th time), Vit B, synthroid full panel, antibodies for hoshimotos, lipids, vitamin D, full iron panel (saturation, TIBC, ferritin, transferrin, etc). I’ve had a lot of tests this year. Last year saw pulmonologist, allergist, ENT—dizziness specialist to try and figure out. Everything comes back normal.

I see, have you been evaluated for anxiety?

This is not anxiety related. I do have anxiety and the dizziness is entirely different than what I experience.
My anxiety is well controlled and only happens when I have low iron.

Okay, then I think you would benefit from a visit to your neurologist, you may need an MRI of your brain to help determine the cause

Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician