Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

I've got a swollen, small grape sized lump on the end of my…

Customer Question
I've got a swollen...

I've got a swollen, small grape sized lump on the end of my clitoris. It hurts! I'm using warm compresses. Anything else I need to do??

Doctor's Assistant: Any recent injuries? How long have you been dealing with the swelling?

2-3 days. No injuries

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

My husband and I have not been intimate in months due to a herniated disc and severe sciatica (me). I'm also 10 years post total hysterectomy.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Health
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/30/2017
Health Professional: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD) replied 7 months ago
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

It could be a Bartholin gland cyst or abscess. The Bartholin glands make a small amount of fluid that moistens the outer genital area, or vulva. If a Bartholin duct gets blocked, fluid builds up in the gland. The blocked gland is called a Bartholin gland cyst. If the Bartholin gland or duct gets infected, it is called a Bartholin gland abscess. A Bartholin cyst that is large, painful, or infected will be drained. If you have an abscess, you may take antibiotics after the procedure.
Simply draining a cyst and letting it heal shut will likely allow it to fill up again.

Less commonly, the cyst wall is damaged with a carbon dioxide laser or silver nitrate to prevent it from growing back.

Bartholin cyst treatment can be done with a local anesthetic in the doctor's office. But a painful cyst is more likely to be surgically treated using general anesthesia.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Will this go away on its own or will it have to be drained by a medical professional?

Many times it can go on it's own, but if the initial conservative measures are not helpful; you may need to get it drained by a doctor.

I thought Bartholin's Cysts were on either side of the vaginal opening. My lump is directly on my clitoris. Would that be something different?

A dermoid cyst is another possibility which can get inflamed and sore.

Was this helpful to you?

Family Physician, Doctor (MD)