Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

I have a hard lump at the base of my skull on the left hand…

Customer Question
Hello! I have a...

Hello! I have a hard lump at the base of my skull on the left hand side. This past month started having intermittent dull headaches with occasional sharp pain over my right eye. Not sure what this is.

Doctor's Assistant: Is the headache episodic or daily? And what about nausea?

Episodic. No nausea, but a month ago with the headache a bloated feeling that went away.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

58 years old, glaucoma. Two weeks ago had a cortisone shot for shoulder pain. First medical treatment in years.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Health
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/28/2017
Health Professional: Dr. Mo, Doctor (MD) replied 10 months ago
Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Doctor (MD)

Hi, Dr. Mo here with JA. Please let me review the information and I'll reply shortly.

How long have you had the lump for, any idea how large it might be? Have you noticed it grow?

About 6 months ago noticed felt this. Had to press to feel it and thought perhaps it was part of the bones or the joints in that area even though I could not feel this on my right side at that time. Yesterday it is considerably larger and raised.

It needs to be biopsied even though it mostly likely is an inflamed lymph node. The reason it needs to be biopsied is because it's firm and it has gotten large. A fine needle aspiration is often adequate and if it doesn't show anything we will normally watch it.

Please click on "Rating" when you have a moment.

Feel free to ask any further questions you might have.

You can always return to this same question for follow up an unlimited number of times.

If you have further questions please let me know.

Otherwise you can click on Rating when ready.

Do not reply