Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

I just had an 80mg depromedol about 10 hours ago. I'm

Customer Question
I just had an...

I just had an 80mg depromedol about 10 hours ago. I'm supposed to go sit with my 4 year old grandson who has a slight fever in the morning. I haven't slept at all. Went to bed at 9 pm. Still awake here in Seattle at nearly 4:30. I need to be there in two hours. I just read about being more susceptible to infections. Is that

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had a fever? Do you have any respiratory symptoms?

Is the medicine already making me prone to bein susceptibleb

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I'm not sick. It was a knee injection for my arthritis. It's my 4 year old grandson.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Health
9/27/2017
Health Professional: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor (MD/DO) replied 10 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor (MD/DO)

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms.Actually steroids can cause you to suffer some insomnia especially when this is the first time you have used them. This would usually settle down over time, usually a fewhours 12 at the most however a single dose would NOT cause you to become more susceptible to infections at all. A single dose of steroids no matter how high it is does NOT reduce your immunity to an extent that itv will cause an infection, this effect only occuyrs when you have been using the steroids for a prolonged period of time.

What has happened here is that you have developed insomnia which can occur after a single dose and usually you can counter it by using OTC sleep aids like benadryl or doxylamine etc which can help you get some sleep.

But this does NOT mean that you have developed an infection AT ALL, It is IMPOSSIBLE to get an infection after a single dose of steroids.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/