Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

Having to get up once a night to urinate early in the

Good morning. Hey does having...
Good morning. Hey does having to get up once a night to urinate early in the morning mean there is a enlarged prostate issue going on? This happens to me. Not all the time but it does happen. I do drink a lot of coffee and water throughout the course of the day as well. I'm 45 years old and just wondering if this is a concern that I should start thinking about thanks
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/25/2017
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)

Sorry--just got on

How long has this been going on?

no problem. off and on. cant give an exact timeline. just noticed it more this past week. not every day but i would go to bed and get up around 4 or 5 am urinate.

Any diminishing of your stream or difficulty starting or stopping?

nope

Then it really doesn't sound like BPH yet

Usually there'd be the other symptoms I mentioned

thanks. at what age does this become a problem for most men?
what age should i have my prostate checked?are there any supplements I can take to ward off this issue?does bhp lead to prostate cancer?thanks!

Usually after 50

But any complete physical in a man should include a digital--finger in the rectum--prostate exam

Saw palmetto may help with BPH and no it doesn't lead to prostate cancer

ok. Thanks so much. I've also read the walking up once a night is usually not a problem but if you wake up two or more times to use the bathroom then that's when there may be a concern. Is that fairly accurate?

Pretty accurate, yes

A couple more questions. Is saw palmetto safe for the body? I've heard it can be toxic to the liver but not sure if that's accurate. I know safe as a bit of a nebulous term but with the benefits outweigh the risks of taking the supplement?And that's question. Is an enlarged prostate a fact that all men more than likely have to deal with?

Yes it's safe

But I really don't advise taking it as a preventative for BPH

Not all men over 50 have it but a good many do

basically as long as I'm not getting up more than once a night and my urine stream is strong and uninterrupted then BHP is not a concern at this time. Is that a good summary thanks

Exactly

And BPH if and when you get it isn't serious at all--just a hassle

Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Good to know thanks so much
Hey stay tuned. I have a brother quick question that I will post on another thread here in a second regarding my daughter.
Hey there I did something I probably shouldn't have done and I went online to look up the difference between BPH and prostate cancer and low and behold, the symptoms all seem to be about the same.
I drink a lot of coffee and water throughout the day and of course I urinate more and while this is logical non-thinking am I peeing too much? Just wish I had the ability to put these things in perspective.
Any assistance you can help with in that regard? Thanks again and sorry to be so loony sometimes

Actually no they aren't unless the prostate cancer is very large

Usually there are no symptoms with prostate cancer

You aren't peeing too much if you drink a lot of coffee and water

Thank you that helps a lot. I don't think that I have prostate cancer but I'm assuming if I did as you say if I'm having symptoms would be pretty Advanced by now and I would definitely know something is wrong. More than just getting up once a night to pee or feeling the urge to pee after drinking a lot? It's crazy because I know that thinking about having to pee makes you feel like you have to pee but it's like saying don't think about that pink elephant cuz that's all you can do at that point is think about that pink elephant.

You don't have prostate cancer

Thank you. Sorry to bother you again with this

No bother at all