Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

I have had laryngitis and minor symptoms for a day and a…

I have had laryngitis...

I have had laryngitis and minor symptoms for a day and a half what can I do for myself at home?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

Happened at work yesterday afternoon, lost voice in the evening almost completely

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Over the counter

9/24/2017
Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD, Doctor (MD)

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.com

This is Dr. John and I will be helping you today.

I will be reviewing your question and will respond shortly.

I may need to ask a few more questions in order to best serve you.

Thank you for your patience.

Answers here are for education and information only.

I have a few more questions to ask, is that ok?

are you having a fever or cough as well?

I'm a little warm but no temperature. It is 80 degrees so lol. No cough really

ok, so most likely a viral infection.
Home treatments for laryngitis include:

tylenol and/or ibuprofen if there is pain or mild fever.
salt-water gargles or warm tea with honey
cough drops/throat lozenges
if there is a lot of nasal congestion, you can try an over-the-counter nasal spray like Afrin for 2 days (longer than three days and you may develop a rebound effect with an increase in congestion)

No nasal congestion. Just tired and tiny bit of throat uneasy

Ok, you don't need to do the nasal sprays then.

However, if the symptoms are not better in a week, make an appointment to see your doctor for an examination.

Does that make sense?

Should I see family doctor tomorrow?
I literally barely can talk and I go back to work on Tuesday

you don't need to see the doctor tomorrow if your symptoms are mild since its most likely a virus and will pass. However if still not better by the end of the week, then I would make an appointment.

Any over the counter would assist in faster recovery?
Right now I'm taking Theraflu severe cold and cough day and night...and halls

Not specifically, but throat lozenges and the tylenol or ibuprofen can help with pain and discomfort.

basically gargle and teas for throat?
I read it's bad to clear your throat now, is that true?

yes, also important to:

Stay well hydrated
Use a humidifier to help with the vocal cords
Ginger root works for some people, but others don't like the bitter taste.

And of course, no smoking if you are a smoker and no alcohol since that can dehydrate you a little.

I don't have ginger or humidifier. Drink more waters or like coke/sprite?

would recommend water (or tea) instead of sodas.

Making tea now actually. Any other helpful home remedies?

Steam (running the shower) has always been most helpful for myself.

like sweat it out method
Eat liquids?

actually the steam helps keep the throat and vocal cords moist, so more of a "Keep it wet" method, if that makes sense.

You can also use a humidifier if you have one as well since that will add more moisture to the air that you are breathing

That makes sense
Any last tricks of the medical trade?

Licorice (not the candy) can also help, but can also interact with some medications.

If there is more congestion, then an OTC medication like Mucinex can also help with secretions.

Thank you for your time John

Oh, and avoid decongestants like Sudafed, since they may dry you out too much.

You’re welcome and glad to be able to help you today!

I would like to thank you for your question and I hope you found my answer informative and helpful.

Please remember to leave a rating by clicking the series of 5 stars at the top of the screen.

The experts here at JustAnswer only get credit for the answer once you leave a rating for us.

You can also add a bonus if you were extremely happy with our service today.

You can always return and ask follow up questions if needed.

- Dr John.

I appreciate your knowledge

thanks! and hope you're feeling better soon!

Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD, Doctor (MD)
Thank you John