Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Physician
98629655

I asked my doctor for anti-depressants as I suffer from

Hi, I asked my doctor for anti-depressants as I suffer from anxiety and stress. She gave me 25mg of Sertraline per day, but I googled it and found many opinions online that St. John's wort was as effective. I have started st.john's wort, but on the packet it says one tablet (250mg) per day. However I have read online that you can take up to 600mg per day. Is this amount safe/correct? Should I be starting at less and gradually increasing to 600mg?
Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Please note I have NOT started or taken any sertraline.
Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Also, is it okay to take 30/500 of cocodamol with St. John's wort? (For post-meningitis headaches).

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.com

This is Dr. John and I will be helping you today.

I will be reviewing your question and will respond shortly.

I may need to ask a few more questions in order to best serve you.

Thank you for your patience.

Answers here are for education and information only.

are you on any other medications or supplements?

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Just cocodamol 30/500 and antihistamine.

You can start at the*****Johns Wort and then increase weekly as needed for your symptoms.

Also, studies show that daily exercise (30 minutes a day or more) can be as effect (or more) in the treatment of anxiety and depression as well, so I always recommend to patients to start an exercise program as well if they are being treated for depression and/or anxiety.

As far as drug interactions, typically St Johns Wort will increase the metabolism of certain medications because of its metabolism in the liver. I don't see any significant interactions listed between St johns Wort and the ingredients in cocodamol