Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

My father is diabetic. This morning woke up confused and…

Customer Question
My father is diabetic...

My father is diabetic. This morning woke up confused and weak. He has since vomited. His blood sugar meter reads high after checking it 3 times. He was then able to give himself a dose of,insulin but it does not seem to be coming down. Should I try more insulin or call an ambulance.

Doctor's Assistant: In general, how has your health been lately?

This is about my father. My moth e r recently passed away and my father seems to be in declining health.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Health
9/22/2017
Health Professional: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD) replied 8 months ago
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

What is his blood sugar?

The meter reads HI which I assume is too high to read.

Additional bolus insulin shot would not help him and may increase ketoacidosis which may be the culprit here secondary to the high blood sugar.

He needs admission in the hospital where slow insulin drip would be needed for the treatment.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.Thanks for using Just Answer.
Health Professional: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD) replied 7 months ago

Hope your father is doing good.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)