Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

Thanks - I am traveling internationally and started my bowel…

Thanks - I am...

Thanks - I am traveling internationally and started my bowel movements have been complete watery discharge for two days. Brown first and now bright yellow. I don't have fever or feel bad. I suspect it was drinking some unfiltered water in a hotel workout room. Thoughts?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had a fever? Do you have any respiratory symptoms?

No fever. No

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have anxiety disorder

9/21/2017
dochealey
dochealey, Senior Consultant

Welcome to justanswer.I am Dr.Sawhney and your complete satisfaction is my goal.I am reviewing your question and I would respond shortly.

Ok
I have not slept very well for 5 days as I have traveled 5 time zones. 100 degree Dubai heat maybe doesn't help either.

Most diarrheas are self-limiting and you just have to wait for them to get over.Most will improve in 3-4 days and some may take a week.If they persist longer uncommon infections may be responsible. Mostly these are because of viral infections which heal by themselves.If you are having more than 4 stools a day, the infection may be bacterial and that may require you to take antibiotics which need to be prescribed by a doctor.

Following things need to be kept in mind while treating it.

· Foremost is avoidance of dehydration.

· You may also take Lime juice mixed with sugar and salt in water or oral rehydration solution.Keep taking it as frequently as you can take it.

· Take yogurt , probiotic variety is preferred as it helps change the flora of intestine for the better and decrease the duration of diarrhea.

· You can eat rice,dry toast,apple or apple sauce and bananas as these are easy to digest and help replenish electrolytes lost.

You may consider using anti motility agents like loperamide if the frequency of diarrhea is troubling you.But they should not be used for more than two days.Pepto bismol ( Bismuth Salicylate) may also help in this condition.

Feel free to ask any follow up questions. Do take a moment to honour my work and time by rating my answer hopefully 5 stars.

dochealey
dochealey, Senior Consultant