Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

My daughter is 9 weeks pregnant and has a migraine. Is it ok…

Customer Question
My daughter is 9...

My daughter is 9 weeks pregnant and has a migraine. Is it ok for her to take a 50 mg imitrex

Doctor's Assistant: Is the headache episodic or daily? And what about nausea?

No, it's not daily. She is nauseous

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Health
9/19/2017
Health Professional: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor (MD/DO) replied 11 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor (MD/DO)

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your daughter. Actually imitrex does have a lot of data behind it to support its safe use during pregnancy, and it has been used safely in pregnancy for management of migraine. However as always sumitriptan is only used if the pain is not responding to OTC tylenol or even ibuprofen. But studies show that its use did NOT increase any incidence of birth defects in the baby.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/