Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

My daughter (19) has had chronic acute headaches since May.

Customer Question
My daughter (19) has...

My daughter (19) has had chronic acute headaches since May. They've progressively gotten worse. She's seeing a neurologist and pain management. Pain management sent her to the ER last week after experiencing stroke like symptoms. CT came back clear they ordered a cervical MRI. We saw her neurologist Thursday and he changed all of her medication and sent her for an MRI MRA today. All day today she's been behaving almost drunk. Her hands are tingly. She's slurring and has no coordination. Thursday she started taking divalproex er 500mg, sumatriptan 50mg x2, fioricet x4 7 days then taper down. I'm really concerned.

Doctor's Assistant: Is the headache episodic or daily? And what about nausea?

Everyday. The level of pain changes but she's not functional. Nausea vomiting come and go.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

We have a family history of blood disorder and aneurysm

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Health
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The Cervical MRI only showed extreme tension in C2,3,&4. Its straight. Spinal fluid is fine. No disc issues.
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/19/2017
Health Professional: Doctor John MD, Doctor (MD) replied 1 year ago
Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD, Doctor (MD)

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.com

This is Dr. John and I will be helping you today.

I will be reviewing your question and will respond shortly.

I may need to ask a few more questions in order to best serve you.

Thank you for your patience.

Answers here are for education and information only.

I have a few more questions to ask, is that ok?

Have you spoken to her neurologist today about these new symptoms?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't want to call. I don't want her to realize my concern
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry I didn't see the question through the ad. No I have not. I didn't notice how bad it was until we returned from her MRI MRA this afternoon

So, I think its important that either her or you speak to her neurologist. Her symptoms may just be due to the change in her medications. She already has had several imaging tests that were reassuring for no brain issues.

But, if her symptoms are really that severe, then the recommendation would be for her to be evaluated in the ER again tonight. They would be able to determine if her symptoms are due to the medications or if there is an underlying neurological issue that needs to be addressed.

Does that make sense?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She's having another spike headache right now. We go to pain management in the morning. I think we can't make it.If there were anything abnormal in her MRI MRA today they would have notified us right?

Yes. if the MRI/MRA has been read as abnormal, the radiologist would have contacted the neurologist with the abnormal results.

But if her symptoms are worse, it would be reasonable to have her evaluated again in the ER tonight.

Does that make sense?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no..... her appointment is at 9am. She's been in extreme pain when we have taken her to the ER. I'm never sure what is urgent enough to warrant an ER visit.

Th ER can rule out serious medical issues that need to be addressed tonight, rather than waiting until the morning.

Health Professional: Doctor John MD, Doctor (MD) replied 12 months ago

I would like to thank you for your question and I hope you found my answer informative and helpful.

Please remember to leave a rating by clicking the series of 5 stars at the top of the screen.

The experts here at JustAnswer only get credit for the answer once you leave a rating for us.

You can also add a bonus if you were extremely happy with our service today.

You can always return and ask follow up questions if needed.

- Dr John.