Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

We are having to treat head lice for the 4th time today

Customer Question
We are having to...

We are having to treat head lice for the 4th time today since September 4th. Need help. It is gone after each treatment then in 3 or 5 days it's back.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that makes your head feel worse or better?

Over 2 weeks we have completed 4 treatments

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

She is 14 years old we have told her flag Corp instructor because we feel it may be from there or school

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Health
9/19/2017
Health Professional: Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor replied 8 months ago
Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor

Head lice can be a very vexing problem! No matter what product you use, it will not kill all of the nits. Removing the remaining nits by hand or with a lice and nit removal comb (sample brand name: LiceMeister comb) may reduce the risk of lice coming back. You can buy one of these combs at your drug store. Carefully comb through all of the hair one section at a time. Remember it's a good thing to comb out lice and nits, not a failure. Comb through the hair every three days (or more often—for at least two weeks) until you stop finding lice or nits. Be sure also to check the heads of all family members, including yourself, as head lice do not always cause itching and can pass readily from one family member to another, or "ping pong" back and forth.

Head lice need human blood to survive. They do not live very long if they are not on a human head.

They do not infest your home, so hot-water washing of bed linens, towels, and recently worn clothing is all you have to do. Use a vacuum cleaner on anything that cannot be washed, such as the couch, a favorite chair or stuffed animals. You do not need to use a lice spray on these items.

No treatment for head lice is 100 percent effective. Therefore, keep looking for head lice and nits, and keep using a "fine tooth comb" for removal. Continued itching does not necessarily mean that head lice are present. It takes a while for the itching to stop. If the scalp looks irritated from treatments or scratching, you might want to call your family doctor.

We have done all this for 4 Treatments. When she left for school today head was clear. The when she came home tonight we found a live one in her hair. We treated again. We are not getting anywhere. I'm a pharmacist and I tried all my tricks. We are desperate
No cant afford it
When I signed on for this it said we can ask numerous questions? Are you going to answer them.

In the meantime, it makes sense to alert any groups your daughter is a part of, as she may be getting re-infected. The entire school (e.g. the principal) should know about the outbreak as it is not uncommon for it to spread throughout the school and bounce back to those who have already been successfully treated. You can control your own environment, obviously, but not that of her peers and contacts. Some schools will bring in professionals to manage a large outbreak.

We did call the teachers that we feel sure it is coming from. They said they are not allowed to alert parents or the students.

Try notifying the PTA or a parent group you are part of. Word spreads fast about these types of things. The school may be reluctant to cause a panic or absenteeism. They may also want to avoid any responsibility for taking corrective action.

Let me know if you have any additional questions. As a parent, I have been through a similar situation twice and it was exhausting, but worked out with the help of the school. Hang in there.

Family Physician, Doctor (MD)