Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

My son had an ekg taken that was slightly abnormal and I am…

Customer Question
My son had an...

My son had an ekg taken that was slightly abnormal and I am concerned about what it means. He is a diehard cross country runner.

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

Sinusbradycardia rightward axis. Not really any symptoms but he has been breaking school records and is determined to keep doing that and want to be sure that there aren't risks for what he pushes his body to do.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I may have a minor mitral valve prolapse in his mom. My sister has an irregular heart rate. His grandma my mom had an aortic aneurism but they caught it.

Doctor's Assistant: Do you know if your family has a history of heart disease? In general, how would you describe your health lately?

His health is great no heart disease just What I just mentioned.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Health
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/18/2017
Health Professional: Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD) replied 8 months ago
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)

Hello I'm Dr Chip

Any chance you could show me the EKG?

Sure
That is my sons ekg. His aunt has an irregular heart rate. His grandma had an aortic aneurism at 65.

Got it--thanks

The right axis deviation there is very slight and it doesn't indicate a problem with his heart

As for the sinus bradycardia, 59 is fine considering he's an athlete--often well trained athletes can have rates even in the high 40's

So I see nothing on that EKG that's worrisome

Please let me know if you need any more information

Thank you! I have heard the same thing elsewhere but I can breath easy with your confirmation of it!

My pleasure

Please click on the 5 star excellent rating icon so I can get credit for my time with you

Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)